2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

1997 Eclipse antenna mast replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2004, 10:38 PM
Default 1997 Eclipse antenna mast replacement

<DIV>Need some help. Have a 1997 Eclipse GST and the antenna is only going up and down about halfway. Dealer wants $100 for just the mast, or $250 for full unit, and another $150 or more in labor to repair. </DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>(a) is there a good place online to get OEM parts cheaper?</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>(b) does anyone have instructions on replacing just the antenna mast?</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>
<DIV>(c) does anyone have instructions on replacing the whole unit?</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Thanks all.</DIV></DIV>

Old 02-25-2004, 01:22 PM

billprew, I just bought a replacement mast for my power antenna from the Mitsubishi dealership in Cary, NC for approx $54.</P>

I'm still looking for some instructions on how to disassemble the trunk/panels to get the antenna out and then disassemble the motor to attach the new nylon gear and mast. I'll keep my eyes open and let you know what I find out.</P>

Todd</P>

Old 03-01-2004, 11:42 AM

guys... I had the same problem. Went to U-Pull-it and pulled one off an old s**t car for about $20, motor and all.. the whole works. swapped out with no sweat. works like a charm. don't worry about the mast. go for it all.</P>

</P>

Old 04-19-2004, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by tfrench

billprew, I just bought a replacement mast for my power antenna from the Mitsubishi dealership in Cary, NC for approx $54.</p>

I'm still looking for some instructions on how to disassemble the trunk/panels to get the antenna out and then disassemble the motor to attach the new nylon gear and mast. I'll keep my eyes open and let you know what I find out.</p>

Todd</p>
I see this topic was from awhile ago, but I'm having a similar problem now. I was just wondering if there is any particular way to disassemble the trunk to get to the antenna. Also, does anyone know of any good NON-power antennas? I live in the Chicagoland area and I don't want to take a chance on another power antenna breaking in the winter. Thanks

Old 04-19-2004, 12:20 PM

Not sure how to disassemble the trunk area but for a non-power antenna, go with the s2000 antenna. It looks rather good, and is fairly cheap. </P>

Old 04-19-2004, 01:22 PM

I replaced mine the first week I had my car and its actually really easy to dissassemble and replace if you follow whats already there as a guide. You need a special key to take the base of the antena off though. I think it has 4 prongs for power antenas and 2 prongs for stationary antenas.

Old 04-19-2004, 02:00 PM

Thanks, I'll take a look after work.

Old 08-03-2004, 05:51 PM
Default RE: 1997 Eclipse antenna mast replacement

Reopening this thread again. I recently had the plastic "zipper" (for lack of a better word... this is the zipper that's pulled through the actual motor to wind and unwind the antenna) break in my '98 Spyder. I bought a new antenna mast for pretty cheap on e-bay ($40 with shipping). I opened up the trunk andthe motor and took out the broken piece of the old antenna and put the motor back together. In theory I thought the new one would just catch if I fed it in from the top. It does, but then it gives off a grinding sound, supposedly the zipper getting tangles, and stops at varying positions betwen down and up. Once it gets stuck the motor cuts out thinking it's work is done (as it should). Has anyone else had any luck fixing this? I'm fairly certain it's just that the zipper is stiff and isn't rolling up inside the storage mechanism as it should, and is getting twisted up inside itself.

I managed to get it all the way down by chance once and left it a few days hoping to "shape" the plastic, but no luck. After a few days when I turned my radio off again, the antenna caught half-way.

I'm running out of ideas, so any suggestions would be great.

DJ

Old 08-03-2004, 11:19 PM

i replaced mine with a stationary one. inside the trunk the panels are just held on with screws just take them out and you can see the antenna. and i think it is just bolted in kinda tight place though.

Old 08-03-2004, 11:24 PM

I know how to access it, I've taken it apart entirely. I'm trying to get some pointers on how to install it so that the zipper doesn't get tangled on retraction.

DJ

Quick Reply: 1997 Eclipse antenna mast replacement