2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

2001 Eclipse Won't Accelerate....

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2005, 01:00 PM
Default 2001 Eclipse Won't Accelerate....

Well, it will eventually, but when I'm trying to speed up, like to get on the freeway, the RPMS go way up, but then the engine makes this really bad noise, almost like a grinding, windy noise. I have to take my foot off the gas to make the noise stop. It seems like it takes forever just to get up to 70MPH.

Don't think this has anything to do with it, but if I leave my car out at night and it gets just a little chilly outside, my break light is on when I start it in the morning. It will stay on, usually until I make a left turn. Any ideas?

Thanks so much in advance!

Jem

Old 04-28-2005, 10:58 AM
Default RE: 2001 Eclipse Won't Accelerate....

Did you say that your RPM's shoot way high without pushing on the gas? Or does it do it when you push on the gas?

If it happens when you accelerate, your clutch is starting to give out. Do you have an aftermarket clutch?

Old 04-28-2005, 03:25 PM

My RPM's go way up when I press on the gas. Which I know they should, but they seem high for the speed I'm going at the time. It's like the car is struggling just to get up to 50 MPH, then it will jerk, and the RPM's will drop, even with no change in the pressure I'm applying to the gas. Then the noise starts.

Just explaining the noise to people here at work, and how the car just wont speed up very fast, some have said it sounds like broken motor mounts. Could this be? If so, is it expensive to fix? Can any place replace them?

Oh, and I don't have a clutch. As if you couldn't tell, my car lingo is pretty bad, so please forgive me if this is all wrong, but, the car is an automatic, and also has the clutchless manual (is that right?).

Old 04-28-2005, 06:22 PM

How bad is the jerking? Well you can visually check your motor mounts. And they are easy to replace.
Possibly sounds like your tranny is going out. When does it start to jerk?

Old 05-02-2005, 12:31 PM

It jerks when the RPMs drop.

I did some research on the internet, and found a recall on the transmission cooling line. The recall said that a hose was "mis-manufactured" and could weaken over time, causing transmission fluid to leak from the cooler hoses, and causing transaxle driveability problems. What are transaxle driveability problems?

I took it into Mitsubishi and was told the recall, although my car was recalled for this, had nothing to do with what was wrong with my car. They said it was a front oxygen sensor. Could this be? Would that make my car make horrible noises when I try to accelerate quickly and cause me to accelerate so slowly?

In all they told me close to $1,600 worth of things I needed to do to my car. I'd be better off trading it in for a new one. At least I could finance that!

Old 05-02-2005, 02:16 PM

1600 for an o2 sensor that a bunch of crap. if they said it was the o2 sensor go to auto zone or evan the dealer part center and buy on and install it if it run ok after that problem fixed but i never heard of an 02 sensor making the motor not acellerate and jerk that could be a bad Cam Position sensor, Crank Position sensor, coil, plugs, wires, and so on but the noise i would guess tranny. i dont know if tehy will do it for free becuse of the recall but i would make them replace the line and check the fluid levels of the tranny. a hot auto tranny is asking for it to crapout on ya.

Old 05-02-2005, 08:40 PM
Super Moderator

Sounds like it could be A.) the torque converter. Or possibly B.) The transmission. Does it have any problem getting started moving and have you noticed it sounding like it's just revving up and not actually moving in reverse as well? Check your tranny fluid color and level. How many miles on the car? It MAY need a tranny flush and new tranny fluid and filter.

Old 05-03-2005, 01:35 PM

jerking sounds like tranny