2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

420a Harmonic Balancer NIGHTMARE!

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 08:55 PM
Default 420a Harmonic Balancer NIGHTMARE!

So I'm trying to help out my friend by fixing his car, but the thing has been stuck in my garage for the last month. His water pump blew, which sheared off the timing belt, blew the headgasket, and bent some valves. You would think that was the hard part, but I already have all that done. I CANT GET THIS HARMONIC BALANCER ON FOR THE LIFE OF ME!!!!! I'm about 30 minutes away from finishing this job, but this Harmonic Balancer will not go on. Here comes the part you'll love. I think the threads in the crank where the balancer threads into are screwed up, because when I'm trying to install the balancer with a longer bolt to press it on, the bolt tightens slightly, but then pops, like it's stripping. I tried re-tapping the hole, but this didn't help either. Does anyone know of a better way to get this thing on?!!! Has anyone ran into this problem before? HELP!!!!
Thanks

Old 10-30-2007, 08:10 AM
Default RE: 420a Harmonic Balancer NIGHTMARE!

It could be because you don't have the balancer in far enough to catch the the threads, atleast in my case thats what hapend, i used a hamer and a block of wood to press mine on far enough to use the stock bolt, Or are you sure the longer bolt you are using is the same thread size?

Old 10-30-2007, 08:31 AM

when i put mine back on from my TB, HG, WP, pulleys and tensioner i used a rubber mallet and swung away. worked great.

Old 10-30-2007, 08:43 AM

use a block of wood and a big hammer to get the balancer on the crank as far as you can get it to move
install the bolt and use a impact to tight the bolt make sure the pulley line up with the rest of the pulleys

Old 11-03-2007, 12:09 AM

I'm changing out the timing belt and tensioner on my 420A eclipse rs '98.It is making an incredible racket. I just picked up this car at an auction. The car has a very loud tapping sound which a Mitsu mechanic says is the tensioner going bad. It only has 88K miles and all fluids look as though they have been maintained.
I am stuck at the crank pulley - it won't come off and my puller is not large enough to handle it. I also noticed that there are no threaded puller holes on the balancer or crank pulley.
What method did you use to remove yours??

Old 11-03-2007, 08:42 AM

I work in automotive industry so I have contacts on this I called up a friend for the chrysler dealership I deal with and borrowed the balancer remover from him (it looks different from a normal puller,it's larger and has fine threads on it for more pulling power) you might have get one from a dealership or tool truck.

Old 11-03-2007, 03:30 PM

Thanks for the advice - rented the puller and off it came.
Now I cannot remove the upper motor mount bracket that bolts to the side of the block. It has very long
bolts that will not come out due to the frame rail. I have jacked up/lowered the motor but still cannot achieve the clearance that I need. Must the lower front mount come out also?

Old 11-04-2007, 09:03 PM

Coup

You talking about the one on the upper passenger side? You do have to slighly raise the engine a bit. Take the nuts off the engine side and lower it. This should give just enought clearance.

I heat the balancer with a torch for about 10 minutes. Apply heat to the inside of the part that fits the crank. It will slide on easily (need to use pot holders or welders gloves.

Problem I am having is now that I have the pulley on, car keeps eating up drive belts. Only thing changed was a new crank harmonic balancer and the power steering pump was removed when we changed the timing belt.

Anyone have a tip on how to assure the pulley is even with the AC and power steering pump pulleys?

PS already checked that pulley was flat and not warped by the heating.