2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

95 Eclipse GS Rotor / brakes

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2005, 08:40 PM
Default 95 Eclipse GS Rotor / brakes

I was wondering if anyone knows if the rotor in the front of the car should be loose when you take the tire off. I was replacing my caliper and i noticed the rotor was loose. I just got this eclipse and I’m worried if it should be loose when the tire is off. Also should the brakes be getting really hot? It was turning red hot that’s why I changed the caliper and the pads. But I’m noticing that it’s still getting a hot. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Old 10-16-2005, 08:46 PM
Default RE: 95 Eclipse GS Rotor / brakes

Did you change the calipers and pads or the rotor and pads?

Old 10-16-2005, 09:14 PM
Super Moderator

Well let's see... The rotor should be kinda loose. Cuz it's the lug nuts once tightened that push the rim against the rotor and the rotor against the hub. Now as for the RED HOT thing that is DEFINATELY a problem. I'd say likely caused by a sticking caliper or a driver riding the brakes. Is it red hot only on 1 side or both? Also if you changed pads on one side you SHOULD do the other at the same time (Wear patterns and all you know).

Old 10-16-2005, 09:20 PM

On many vehicles there are collars around each stud to keep the rotor in place(A real pain when you are doing bearings). What is your year/make/model?

Old 10-16-2005, 09:21 PM

I changed the caliper and the pads.

The passenger side brake was getting red hot. So that’s why I changed it. When I took the brake apart the caliper was shut and the pads were worn out. So I changed the caliper and the pads. (I will change the other front pads in a few days. I am not driving the car at the moment) but I did take the car for a ride to see if the brake was working well and I found out it was working well because right from the start the car was not being held back when I drove. But it is still a little hot. Not red hot but it’s still hot. I’m guessing this might be normal.

Old 10-16-2005, 09:25 PM

Its a 95 Eclipse GS

Old 10-16-2005, 09:27 PM

Change the other side snd then drive it. ive been told to make a few stops from about 40mph or so to break in the new pads... maybe thats all that is needed...

Old 10-16-2005, 09:45 PM
Super Moderator

Your brakes ARE going to get warm but it sounds like the caliper DEFINATELY went bad. you likely overextended it and due to the increased metal/metal connection probably warped the piston causing it to stick out causing even MORE metal to metal and more problems with the caliper LOL. I wouldn't recommend driving much wihtout changing the other pads as they're likely in about the same position therefor likely to cause the same problem with the OTHER caliper soon.

Old 10-16-2005, 09:53 PM

I will change the other pads. The car came like that. I bought it of this guy who said it was slow that’s why he was selling it for cheap. Then when i took it like 5 blocks the rotor was red hot. So I changed it yesterday. I know it should get a little hot but now that i changed it how hot should it get? Hot enought to make the rim warm?

Old 10-16-2005, 09:56 PM

No if the rim is definatly warm theres a problem...

Quick Reply: 95 Eclipse GS Rotor / brakes