2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

95 Eclipse,no fuel,no spark

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 03:49 PM
Default 95 Eclipse,no fuel,no spark

I have a 95 Mitsubishi Eclipse Rs it won't start.I get no spark or fuel.

Here's a back story: The guy(cousin) I bought told me it stopped working in a parking lot and then he went to start it a couple days later and it started.but then next day it wouldn't start.

This is what I know no spark and no fuel.fuel pump works if you put power at the pump.Just doesn't when you try to start it.and it cranks.
It was Manufactured in June of 1994 if that helps any
Any ideas?

Thanks in advanced

Last edited by kornfandude; 01-05-2010 at 08:16 PM. Reason: added more info + made it make sense
Old 01-06-2010, 12:34 PM
Lightbulb No fuel or spark?

Try the Camshaft Position Sensor, its on the head toward the right side, I had the same problem a while back. The fuel pump worked but i was getting no spark and when we checked it, it was the CPS. I dont remember if it was in the Chilton/Haynes book, it should be, but when that was changed it fired right up. The only problem is that they dont sell one for Mitsubishi, just Dodge/Chrysler, its the same thing just a different connector, which you'll have to splice but its really easy to do. Hope this helps

Old 01-06-2010, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by andyvr2
Try the Camshaft Position Sensor, its on the head toward the right side, I had the same problem a while back. The fuel pump worked but i was getting no spark and when we checked it, it was the CPS. I dont remember if it was in the Chilton/Haynes book, it should be, but when that was changed it fired right up. The only problem is that they dont sell one for Mitsubishi, just Dodge/Chrysler, its the same thing just a different connector, which you'll have to splice but its really easy to do. Hope this helps
Thanks I'll check it out.I Think in the Haynes book it may have a way to test the cps not sure.I guess I have to look in the book a bit.I might rent a hand held computer from Autozone and see if i get any error codes.
but anyway thanks again

Old 01-07-2010, 03:44 PM

I tried the odb2 computer nothing.Every time I tried to look for error codes it said error check the connection.So I guess I may have to replace the Ecu.

Old 01-09-2010, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by kornfandude
I tried the odb2 computer nothing.Every time I tried to look for error codes it said error check the connection.So I guess I may have to replace the Ecu.

Not necessarily. My obd2 check did the same thing. I ended up rewiring the connector and running the power from the OBD2 connector straight to the battery. After awhile the wires get fragile and can break. I would start with that first. Check the continuity of the wires from the obd2 connector to the ecu connector with a multimeter. That will tell you if you have to replace any of those wires.

As far as the no fuel and no spark issue, the camshaft positioning sensor is a good start. Also check the crankshaft positioning sensor and the MFI relay. All three of those will cause the problemm that you are having. Hope it works out man!

Old 01-11-2010, 09:42 AM

Well I'm about to get an ecu and try that I found one and getting a good deal on it and If that doesn't work I'll go through all my sensors and relays.

Old 01-11-2010, 10:08 PM

well got spark now.checking relays next.

Old 01-13-2010, 11:19 PM

Got it running by replacing the ecu and a relay

Old 01-24-2010, 05:33 PM
Exclamation Relay?

If you dont mind, could you post up which relay it was that you replaced? This would help us all out in the future if and when one of us experiences this problem.

Old 01-24-2010, 10:44 PM

I wish i could tell you which one all i know is it's one of the 4 i have on my fired wall.They have black caps over them and i popped them off and has someone turn the key like they were going to start it and made sure they were working and sure enough one wasn't.Also now that it's running it idles way too high 3,100 rpms and i replace the iac valve and tps and still nothing.

Quick Reply: 95 Eclipse,no fuel,no spark