2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

95 TSi wont PULL like it should??

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 02:41 AM
Default 95 TSi wont PULL like it should??

Okay heres the story. I bought this 95 TSi Talon 5spd from my bro's girl andshe shattered the pressur plate at 4k rpm's. Well I made it a project to find out what all was damaged in the vehicle so that I can start a parts list. The PP(pressure plate) destroyed the bellhousing and some coolant hoses and thats it. I got her all fixed up and driving. But befor all that, I installed a large fmic and 3' piping. I retained the stock bov while I was at it. I also installed a cat back 3' Apexi N1 exhaust system too. Anyway, After its all said and done the car wont pull hard like it used to. I put a Autometer boost gauge in with a pillar pod to see some accurate psi numbers and she says about 7-9 psi but it feels like my old 95 GS, power wise.. When the car is at normal running temps the throttle sticks at 2,500 rpm's. Any one have any use full ideas that could help me out. I leave for school in 2 1/2 weeks for Phoenix and I want this car going good and reliable for the trip. Sorry if it seems like I jump around in the story line, I just want you guys to know my mods that I have and all the little details to get a more accurate diagnosis. Not bad on the mods list for having it for only 2 weeks huh?lol.... Thanks guys, and please hurry..

Old 08-28-2008, 11:00 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 95 TSi wont PULL like it should??

well first of all a large FMIC on a stock turbo is stupid. That all said id say you have a boost leak because that boost should be higher. Also it may be that you have the vaccuum lines to the wastegate hooked up incorectly. But i would start by checking all of the couplings to the IC. What type of FMIC did you get. Are all the couplings silicone? and did you use the good band clamps?

Old 08-28-2008, 11:32 AM

yeah a front mount on a stock turbo actually huts you more then helps you.

Old 08-28-2008, 02:14 PM

I got the SlowBoy intercooler, and I used all the T-Bolt clamps that came with it and silicone couplings. This is how I have the vac lines hooked up. Vac line from the wastegat to the bov, I t'd that line to the intake manifold. My boost gauge vac line is ran from the solonoid thats for the intake mani. How should I have it done if its wrong? My bro has the same 95 tsi, but in red, his vac lines are the exact same way!! He has 1st gen bov, Injen intake and TeamRip trans..

Old 08-28-2008, 04:02 PM
Super Moderator

The wastegate really shouldnt be run to the BOV because you wont get a very good vaccuum from there. I would re-run the line from the wastegate actuator to the compressor housing nipple

Old 08-28-2008, 07:23 PM
Banned

Do a boost leak test, and get rid of the stock BOV for another BOV that you can recirculate.

Old 08-29-2008, 03:04 AM

yeh at that boost you shouldn't get that much power anyway but most definatley more then a gs/rs. take TE's advice and when its all set and done turn the boost up and youll feel the difference. And take seb's advice get a BOV my personal favorite is the greddy type-s which they don't make anymore, and you can get a recirculation kit for $20 off of slowboyracing.com

Old 08-30-2008, 02:00 PM

Okay, ill try that. I called up SlowBoy and talked to one of there techs and he told me that with my setup and mods its like a fat chainsmoker trying to run a marathon. The turbo is running out of breath. Anyway, I just took all the piping out and picked up some hard IC pipes from ebay for the 2g stock smic. Well that tech guy convinced me to pick up a j pipe and a 16g turbowill not haveany prob compressing all that air. I should havedid some research first, but i figuired i had the money and why not buy some cool **** befor i waste it on my girl or beer.lol.. So i should run the vac line from the WG to the compressor nipple, t that and run it to the bov? Thanks guys

Old 09-02-2008, 10:04 PM

After much digging and screwing with the motor I found that when I took out the plugs there was oil all over the plug in cylinder #2. It wasnt a small oil deposite either, it was like someone dipped the plug in a glass of engine oil!! The rest of the plugs had a white crust built up on the electrode. Looks like i got blow by in the cylinder huh? I dont get it though. The car was running strong befor the pressure plate shattering, and now its a big paper weight.lol.. Even after I switched the fmic back to smic, she was slow and my boost gauge was still reading 10vac on idle and when on a full load driving she went up to 12psi boost.? But still no hard pull like she should. Thats when I decided to dig more into the problem and found all that.^^^^^^ So now that the motor has to come out should I swap in a 1st gen or rebuld this one? I just want a daily driver that has some extra pull.. Is this a easy prob to fix or easier to swap in a new engine? I meen as in money wise also..