2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

97 eclipse gs

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 08:31 AM
Default RE: 97 eclipse gs

is it just me or is 20w50 oil pretty damn heavy for a gs? especially where we are getting into colder months

Old 10-03-2006, 09:47 AM

the shaking from when you turn off the car may be due to a bad timing belt.... do you know when it was changed last?

Old 10-03-2006, 12:35 PM
Banned

I think its a blown headgasket

Old 10-03-2006, 07:41 PM

ORIGINAL: paintballproam

is it just me or is 20w50 oil pretty damn heavy for a gs? especially where we are getting into colder months
The idea is the thick oil wont find its way into small leaks like rings or valve seals. Alot of people will do it when they sell cars because it gives the illusion that the car is in better condition then it really is. Frist off, how many miles are on the car, whats the current oil situation in the motor, do you have any information on any previous tune ups, and does the car have any modifications. Second, dont get all nervious thinking that its somethng bad, my car smoked like it was it job, and I never had any problems with it... besides the looks from other drivers. First I would check the plugs, they are your window to your motor. Check each one, its possible to have only one cyl. with a bad ring land to cause this problem. If one of your plugs is dirty looking, like beyond black with some greasy residue on it... you have a internal oil leak. There are a bunch of ways to check where its exactly comming from, leak down tests and compression tests. But lets get this out of the way first. Chances are if it is leaking i am going to put my money on the headgasket, cyl. one specifically. Its a common problem with 420a's.

Anyway to recap, answer the above questions, check your plugs, and we will go from there.

BTW the motor in your car isant a mitsubishi motor, its a chrysler motor.

Old 10-09-2006, 02:58 AM

sorry havin alot of problems with this dumb lap top. but i did the oil change thing and it is only coming out a very faint grey color. can hardly see it but oh god can you smell it. dude said that i bought the car from, he didnt know when the timing belt was last changed. but i know i need to do that. and my check engine light came on about 3 days ago. isnt that great. im beat dudes @$$ for sellin me a messed up car. how can you have a car for 3 years and not know that there was smoke coming out the exhaust and not changing the timing belt, and just basic up keep on a car. dumb @$$. but i tell ya that car hauls @$$. i tested it out on the interstate..lol.. oh and i think i might have an electrical problem, b/c my pass. side head light is dim and then bright when ever it wants too. i changed all bulbs and it still does it. i think dude that had this car before me really f***ed it up...

Old 10-09-2006, 03:12 AM

You should have checked it out before you bought it.

Old 10-09-2006, 03:14 AM

Yah buying a used and abused car suck. The check engine light for me comes on about 3 days after also. So when i got my car it wasnt' there because the guy cleared it. A few days later once the computer learn all the settings and start noticing things are missing that when the codes start coming lol.

Old 10-09-2006, 01:43 PM

about the headlight, do you have an aftermarket stereo w/amp? because this happened to me, the amp would draw too much power from the battery so my car headlight (just one) would be dim very often and occasionally not even work. i solved this by getting a stronger battery and it hasnt happened since, just something to try

Old 10-09-2006, 05:08 PM

I just completed a very expensive restore on my 97 eclipse spyder convertable. I hate to say this but it could be any one of many things that are causing your ride to do what it is doing. The first thing I would do is try to find a mechanic that specializes in Mitsubishi engines. Sounds to me like the first step would be is to have a diagnostic done. It could be the timeing, tune up, fuel filter, fuel pump and on and on and on. THe dealership will stick it to you but they will probably get it right. Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-09-2006, 05:20 PM

Another thing that entered my mind when you mentioned the shakeing when you shut it down might be the result of a bad motor mount