2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

97 eclipse gs

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 02:51 PM
Default RE: 97 eclipse gs

I found out why my 97 spyder had that awful smell and that was because I had a bad valve in my number 2 cylinder. My solution was to have a valve job.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-15-2006, 11:09 AM

My 96 GS developed the same problem a few months after i bought it. It solved out by replacing the catalytic converter. The "Check Engine" light was coming out because of the readings in the lambda sensor within the catalytic converter. After replacing it, the light went out, the shaking was gone and there was no more smoke.

Old 11-09-2006, 01:46 AM

yeah sorry guys, laptop was messing up and i work alot. but i took my car to hall mitsubishi and oh my god, there is so much **** wrong with this car it aint funny. i tried to take it to get it checked out when i bought it but the guy wouldnt let my test drive it alone. he took advantage of me because he knew i had 1300 cash to give him and i know he was just tellin me what i wanted to hear. it is gonna cost me 3800 to get car back to " good " running condition, and not to mention the recall that was on the car that he didnt tell me about for the lower lateral ball joint. so i called him and told him about what all needed to be fixed and i wasnt giving him 1500 for the rest of the car and he said he is goin to take me to court and i told him good luck . i told him he could take the 1300 and deal with it or take the damn car back. well he didnt like either or and he talked to his mom, with him being 22, and his mom told him to take me to court for failure to pay, and then i told him i would take him to court for misleading information, taking advantage of me and false representation, and sellin me a vehicle that is in bad running condition.

Old 11-09-2006, 09:35 AM
Super Moderator

wow yea it sounds like you got a good case there since the amount of repairs will cost, but i dont know if your state has a lemon law. I know in mass there is one where if the car fails emmisions within 7 days or if the repairs is greater than 10% of purchase price, which you far exceed

Old 11-09-2006, 01:03 PM

http://www.dmv.virginia.gov/webdoc/c...s/lemonlaw.asp

hope that helps u some in the future, good luck on it

Old 11-09-2006, 01:41 PM

I think you should've checked the car over before purchase..If he wouldn't let you take it to someone to be checked out before purchase then a red flag should've immediately went up in your head like something shady was up with the car and you should've refuse to purchase the car until he let you have it checked over...I am a sales consultant and Legally, you own the car now and owe him the money that was the agreed selling price..I know it sucks for you because now you have to pay for the car as well pay for repairs but you bought a used vehicle and bought as-is with all defects...He really didn't have to tell you anything wrong with the car..If he was a honest person he should have but he sounds like an idiot to me..I know in the state of Pennsylvania, once your plate is on the car and you drive it on the road after purchase even if it's only around the block and back, you legally own it...he probably shouldn't have let the car leave without being paid in full for it but that was his dumb *** mistake....IMO, you both are idiots, you for buying the car before you were able to have someone look it over and agreeing to buy it and him for letting it go before he was paid in full...I think court would be a waste of time and money for you and you should pay him his money before he tkes you for it..Just becareful when buying a used vehicle next time and look it over or have it looked over before agreement of purchase.

Old 11-09-2006, 02:44 PM
Super Moderator

i guess mass has a great lemon law then. We get 30 days before any major issues can happen

Old 11-09-2006, 02:52 PM

As-is is As-is...I know with us, if the car is bought As-is and it breaks in half after they drive it away then they better call 2 tow trucks to come get them..know what i mean?

Old 11-09-2006, 08:01 PM

Wonder would you guys know if Canada has a lemon law? Did a little look and nothing really came up.

Old 11-10-2006, 01:53 AM

Thats why I always have it taken to a personal dealer and then have them sign that they will give me full refund if any major issues arise with the car within the first week, such as eng, tranny, and what not. It saved me once on an old Nova. Guy deffinitly painted over a rust bucket, and when I got it to my shop to take apart, deffinitly had a lot problems, but can't argue with a contract. After two days he gave me money back, and I gave him his rust bucket back.

Whats all is wrong with it. I know that dealerships always bump up the price. I know they wanted to charge me like 500 bucks to change my Intake manifold gasket, and I bought it 15 bucks and just spent the day doing it myself. Find out what all is wrong with and take it as a learning experience to repairing cars, I know the guys here know a lot and can probably help you figure out how to do some things, that hanes manual doesn't clearly state.