2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

99 Eclipse Electrical Help

Old 05-31-2006, 01:56 AM
Default 99 Eclipse Electrical Help

I have a 99 Eclipse that I purchased recently. The previous owner was trying to install a new led in the ring around the ignition key and blew a fuse. When that happened for some reason the power windows would work whether the key was on in the ignition or not. Also the power door locks stopped functioning. Lastly there is now a small draw on the battery which If I dont drive for a few days kills the battery completely. I took the steering column apart and found the 2 wires that where supposed to go to the led just dangling so I shrink wrapped them so they wouldn't short. I then checked all the fuses under the hood and by the drivers side left foot and they all where good. I noticed that when I hit the power door lock there was a relay in another box above the fuse box inside the car that popped when I hit the switch. I replaced this relay and the power windows now work properly (only with the key on in the ignition) but still no power door locks. When I dosconnect the negative battery cable (testing for a short) I also noticed that the door locks would lock one time and then never again unless I pulled the negative cable off again.

If anyone has had a simular problem and has any ideas I would appreciate some feedback. I am still searching for a short but am comming up with nothing so far.

Thanks