2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Air/fuel gauge

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2006, 07:43 PM
Default Air/fuel gauge

So i just hooked up my air/fuel gauge on my 99 gst
but the damn thing is going crazy! its like a disco frenzy! wtf? it keeps going to lean to rich and vice versa
what did i do wrong?

Old 11-16-2006, 07:50 PM
Default RE: Air/fuel gauge

Those will do that. The wideband gauges are the ones that don't dance around.
What you're seeing is normal. It's picking up the front o2 sensor, which is constantly compensating as you see.

You're good, it's normal

Old 11-16-2006, 09:00 PM
Super Moderator

Exactly. The narrowband O2 sensor you read from on the AFR guage reads from teh sensor that basically only shows a small set of readings. Either it's high, low, or basically in between and due to constant changes in fuel mixture and combustion gasses that voltage put out varies quite a bit usually. I know I'm doing a terrible job at this explanation but basically the O2 sensor puts out voltage depending on the reading. The reading always changes so the voltage always changes and the precision isn't very good. Like a 3 way switch. Imagine your head light switch= Off, Running lights, Headlights. It's in one of these positions but nothing in between. Maybe someone can help me here in this haphazard explanation...

Old 11-16-2006, 09:09 PM

Looks fine to me, I understood ya
The thing about narrowbands is that it reads 0 to 1 volt, so that's basically on or off. While a wideband reads 0 to 5 volts and give an average of the AFR.

Old 11-16-2006, 09:47 PM
Super Moderator

That's basically what I wanted to say but I didn't want to quote incorrect voltages there.

Old 11-16-2006, 11:11 PM

ah thats really crappy then, yeah its constantly going from lean to rich and its like wtf is the point of u bitch *** gauge!

Old 11-16-2006, 11:14 PM

ORIGINAL: Simss

ah thats really crappy then, yeah its constantly going from lean to rich and its like wtf is the point of u bitch *** gauge!
LMAO
The good news is that you see it early on and not later as you're trying to tune...although, you can tune with it during WOT pulls, but that's about it as far as fuel trims are concerned.
Your comment eases my concern of you trying to tune with it or relying on it...good on you bro.

Old 11-16-2006, 11:55 PM
Super Moderator

Plain and simple it's a light show. Nothing more. Something for ricers to go Oooo looky I have an AFR guage whatchu got? lol

Old 11-17-2006, 11:16 AM
Super Moderator

you cant even tune with those at wot because so what it says your in the "green" during WOT. What the hell does that mean. It still tells you nothing

Old 11-17-2006, 07:09 PM

That's true, for some reason, I was thinking that some of them had a numerical value on them.

Quick Reply: Air/fuel gauge