2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Alignment Problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 08:04 AM
Default Alignment Problem

Hi, got a problem and need some thoughts. My son has a 98 eclipse gs and lost it on the ice in the school parking lot and slammed the right rear wheel into a curb. I pulled the wheel and had a look around, noting thatabout 3 inches of thedust cover was tweaked over almost into the rotor. Tried straightening that out and had a look see underneath at the control arms, didn't really notice anything out of shape. Put the wheel back on and took it out for a test drive. Have some MAJOR alignment issues! Do you think maybe a bent control arm or? Could it be a bent rotor?I did notice that when I hand spun the rotor there was something just not right. I'd like to do the repairs myself if possible, but probably being an alignment issueI'm just not comfortable with that. Any thoughts, suggestions, etc. greatly appreciated. Thanks and Happy Holidaze.
johnnyG

Old 12-28-2007, 10:03 AM
Default RE: Alignment Problem

i've never heard of a bent rotor before... could be he messed up the rim pretty bad... i'd say you're better off taking it to a professional to get it checked out

Old 12-28-2007, 08:41 PM

well if he bent the rotor, you would DEFINATLY have a blown tire and bent to hell rim, so it shouldnt be that, but like sk8 said it might be a bent rim.. needless to say i wouldnt drive it untill you get it fixed haha

Old 12-28-2007, 11:06 PM

yea i didnt even know you could bend rotors, bending a control arm i would think would be fairly unlikely, but ya never know. i would take ur wheel off and take it to a nearby shop and have 'em check it

Old 12-29-2007, 08:06 AM

Thanks for the replies guys. It's weird, no visible tire or wheel damage at all that I can see.

Old 12-29-2007, 11:59 AM

it might just need re-aligned, all depends on how hard he he hit, he coulda just knocked it out that bad...

Old 01-18-2008, 02:36 PM

Hey guys, finally got the eclipse in to the shop to get it checked. Turns out the kid broke the passenger side rear knuckle. Shop wants $650 to replace the knuckle, bearing, and alignment. I've got a $500 deductable I'd have to pay on insurance, is it worth taking to the shop for work or is this something I can do out in the garage? Anyone ever do this repair? Thanks, johnnyG.

Old 01-18-2008, 03:59 PM
Super Moderator

replacing a bearing can be a real PITA if you cant get it off the axle. Honestly i would just pay to have it done right. That price actually isnt too bad for what your getting

Old 02-01-2008, 10:29 PM

Thanks Engineer, I know this is a little late in getting back to you. I took the 98' in to the insurance co's recommended shop, turns out there was a lot more damage than I first thought. Have to replace the susp crossmember, upper control arm, lower control arm, knuckle, stabilizer bar, bearing and alignment. Total estimate w/labor, almost $1200.00. Glad I didn't take this on myself!
johnnyG.

Old 02-02-2008, 11:07 AM
Super Moderator

yea thats a whole lot to have to mess with. And the price seems about right. I guess it could be alittle cheaper. But hey. You get what you pay for right.

Quick Reply: Alignment Problem