2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Almost DONE! (I hope)

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 02:50 AM
Default Almost DONE! (I hope)

Hey guys. I am almost done with my "head gasket adventure." I finally got it cleaned up REAL good, both the head and the block. And its already mounted. But I have one question: What is the Water Outlet gasket? (its not the water pump gasket either... i dont think) If its what i think it is.. from the water pump it connects to this long tube and following that tube over to the left side of the engine it connects to this other "pipe-like" thing where you can put the antifreeze it. Well that weird shaped thing connected to that long tube, which connects to the head and block (can't remember if both or not). Does that thing have a gasket inbetween... i believe so, but not sure. IF it does have a gasket inbetween, would that be the water outlet gasket? If not, where is it? And if thats not the right gasket, whats the name of that gasket? Or does it even have a gasket inbetween? Also, feel free to shoot out some hints that would help me finish off my car.

Old 01-14-2007, 11:47 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Almost DONE! (I hope)

You got me... Time to try and find a FSM for yours and see what it is... Also make sure you torque your head bolts in the proper order then retorque them after 100 or so miles. Don't need to blow that thing again.

Old 01-14-2007, 01:09 PM

on my gf;s civic, the water outlet gasket was the litte diamond seal between the block and where the upper hose feeds to.
I got fooled cuz i thought the thermostat was there, but ended up being behind the block where the lower rad. hose fed to.
You can actually use black silicone on the water outlet.

Old 01-14-2007, 05:17 PM

So no one really knows where the Water Outlet Gasket really is on an Eclipse? Thanks for your help though guys... appreciate it, but this is all i need to know, so that I can finish it off. I havent even but the head bolts on yet (as is tightened them) just in case i forgot something. Well what is the thing called under the radiator cap... http://members.shaw.ca/dsm.1000q/Engineprimer/2G/Q3.htm???

Old 01-15-2007, 01:24 AM

Anyone?

Old 01-15-2007, 01:43 AM

looks like like a basicn routing point for coolant to flow where it needs to.
as far as what its called, ya got me.

Old 01-15-2007, 01:44 AM

..... that might b your water outlet since the upper hose is right there... [sm=insomnia.gif]

Old 01-15-2007, 03:09 PM

How about the head bolts? I cant figure out how to get them to screw on? Do I have to push on hard and screw the in? Please help.

And what is the torque for these head bolts?

Old 01-15-2007, 03:44 PM

what do you mean you can't figure out how to screw them on? they are sitting on the top of the head, as long as it's lined up right w/ the block they should so right in, as for the torque settings, i don't have my chilton manual infront of me but it would be worth it to to get a chiltons manual or hayes manual for your car it will tell you everything. and you definatly need to do it right... it's an 8 step process!

Old 01-15-2007, 07:29 PM

Thanks man. I know why they wouldnt fit in right... i was using a 6 point 12mm instead of the 12 point mm. HAhahahaha! I'm an idiot! lol!

But got one last question.. I am finally ready to put on the timing belt. Any suggestions. As long as the cam gears, the crankshaft sprocket, and oil pump sprocket are lined upright with their timing marks, I should be good right? Or am I missing something?

Quick Reply: Almost DONE! (I hope)