2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

another advice topic

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 11:54 AM
Default another advice topic

ok so i have a 95 gst that is completely stock and I want to get at least an intake and exhaust for the exhaust i was gonna go with the apexi n1 catback and for the intake i wasnt sure on that one ive seen some that are just the filter and those are around 100 as opposed to the kits that are about 250 is there a difference in performance if so which would you reccomend? once that is done i wanted to go about upgrading the turbo i was thinking the 16g its about 600 bux but i need the kit to install it as well what would i need before i try going for the 16g and where can i get it at an ok price i know one is the manual boost control but what else would i need? also what brand would you reccomend because there are so many for everything i figured the exhaust is gonna be about 500 the intake 100-200 depending on what i get and the 16g with install kit lets say 700 so that adds up to about 13-14 hundred dollars i have about 1,600 to spend so help me out guys you too sebba cas i know you know ur cars!

Old 06-20-2007, 12:47 PM
Default RE: another advice topic

turbo back exhaust is a very good start. this will allow your turbo to spool up quicker and also exit that exhaust more freely opening up horsepower, w/ a good TBE you can gain up to 20-25hp and higher with a tune, you can get an intake but it's really not necessary unles you just want to hear the turbo and bov better.if you want to go ahead and get the 16g you can but you won't see anymore power out of it than you will out of the stock turbo until you get a fmic, ic piping, wideband, boost gauge, injectors, bov, fuel pump,tuning deviceand fpr. then w/ a decent tune you can make up to 350whp.

Old 06-20-2007, 01:59 PM

wow it seems like getting the 16 g would be alot of work the turbo back exhaust you mentioned where can i find one of those is it just a normal exhaust so would i not be able to get the apexi or what lol im confused im a car noob sorry

Old 06-21-2007, 01:56 AM

Uh getting a 16g will give you more power at the same boost levels....As it has more airflow. Heres what I would recommend evoIII 16g, boost gauge(if not already owned), fuel pump, TBE, mbc and maybe a K&N FIPK. I know people in the 7's without a fmic. Also a couple daily driven 11 sec cars on a sidemount. Im not saying it isnt a good investment but not needed for a stock car right off of the bat. With the mods I suggested and 15 to 16psi you will be pleased. Hell thats what my daily driver has and I get a kick out of it when I drive around town with it still! Even after driving the beast....

Take small steps and learn about everything you install on your car one at a time to ensure longevity. Also, make sure your maintenence is all taken care of before you go throwing performance parts on your car. If you dont you will most likely have a car with a nice start and out of cash and then "oh ****" guess I should have replaced that timing belt....Take serious thought into any DSM.

OK thats my last piece of good advise for a while..

Old 06-21-2007, 08:53 AM

this is incorrect. the stock SMIC loses efficiency at about 8-10psi on the 16g after that you are just blowing hot air. as for your claim of ppl running 7's w/o a FMIC... you MUST mean in the 1/8'th. you won't get into the 11's w/ a 16g either. you also did not mention that he will need new injectors and a tuning device. these are definatly necessities for upgrading.

a turbo back exhaust is a combination of 3 parts. Downpipe (comes off the turbo), Cat (i would recomend getting a high flow cat or a test pipe - test pipe will NOT pass emissions) and a catback exhaust. you can still buy the Apexi N1 catback and just get a downpipe and HFC. yes upgrading ur turbo is somewhat of a big deal b/c these cars were not built for a bigger turbo. Mitsubishi basically did nothing but put together the minimum requirements for the turbo in the car so when you upgrade 1 thing..... basically you have to upgrade the rest around it.

Old 06-21-2007, 07:19 PM

You ever heard of a man named John Sheppard? Find me his intercooler please? And yes a 16g can get into the 11's sorry to break it to you. I know people who have done it at 4600ft in elevation as well. He is wanting to start modifying his car not build a ****ing race car right out of the box.

Old 06-21-2007, 07:52 PM

aight smart@$$ no need for the f***ing attitude. a 16g pushing an eclispe into the 11's would be very hard to do. also john sheppard is running a complete race setup genius. i'm sure this guy couldn't afford what he has under the hood. and his car is straight RACE, as in, made to push into the 7's.

Old 06-21-2007, 09:29 PM

The 16G would be VERY unhappy pushing it to 11s. Im sure its life would dwindle down to nothing if you ran it constant without a ****load of other mods. If youd like further proof of this check youtube. There was a guy that did almost just that.

Old 06-22-2007, 12:09 AM

ORIGINAL: RCJr9186

aight smart@$$ no need for the f***ing attitude. a 16g pushing an eclispe into the 11's would be very hard to do. also john sheppard is running a complete race setup genius. i'm sure this guy couldn't afford what he has under the hood. and his car is straight RACE, as in, made to push into the 7's.
I tend to dislike someone telling me that my information isnt valid. I dont post for fun. I also dont see the point in calling me a smartass. I still have not gotten an attitude as well, just posting facts.

It wasnt all that hard to get into the 11's with the 16g either. It was a pretty basic setup, 3in dp, vpc, fmic, 660's, race gas, clutch, intake and a badass driver.

Oh ya on street tires...

Oh and you do realize that Shep's car is street legal right?? There are plenty of others without a fmic with record setting times that you will never touch. You obviously know nothing about the basics of a car. Learn more n3wb.

To the original poster a fmic is a good investment but you will have a good wood when you do as I say. I have been working on these cars more years than 2g body kits(gay) have been available.

As always be moderate with anything you do and make sure everything coincides and you will be fine.

You will hear all of these bitches complain that there timing belt broke and that there balance shaft belt broke and ****ed up the timing belt......Or, I broke the top of my dipstick off and never could get it out and now there is a knock....Make sure and take care of your car.

But, **** I only have 20 something posts on this board.....I must be new to DSM's.....

Old 06-22-2007, 05:41 AM

Oh btw im not saying that Shep DD's his car either.

Quick Reply: another advice topic