2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Auto transmission problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2006, 01:38 PM
Default Auto transmission problem

Ok guys.. here's the problem.

97 Eclipse RS, auto tranny..

I added about 0.50 to 0.75 qts of Dextron III before I knew anything about the whole Mopar ATF+3 stuff.. about a month later my transmission started to slip (explaination in a moment). I went to a tranny shop and talked to a guy about it. He said that what I did wouldn't cause the problems that I was having, that it sounded like an aging transmission.

Problem: The car shifts fine when I first start driving.. sometimes it will run fine for a short trip (say, 10 miles). But if its hot outside, or the longer i run the car (hotter the engine gets) the worse the transmission gets. Starts off fine.. shifting from 1st to 2nd gear is fine.. going from 2nd to 3rd there is a slip, then it will get into 3rd... going into 4th (OD) is fine, but then it sounds and feels like it slips into a 3 1/2 gear. At this point I either cruise at the speed i'm at (about 55 or 60), or if I need to get some speed to go up a hill or something, I have to almost floor it to make the car down shift into 3rd (or click off the over drive of course).

Anyone have a clue what would cause this problem (without me having to bring it to a shop)?

PLEASE NOTE: I don't know a thing about transmissions.. so if you give me a part name, could you explain what it does and maybe how much it would cost to get it replaced/fixed...

Thanks guys.

Old 06-06-2006, 11:28 AM
Default RE: Auto transmission problem

I am guessing no one on this forum knows a thing about auto transmission... or.. something.. I'm glad this isn't an URGENT problem! [>:]

Old 06-06-2006, 12:41 PM

check to make sure your syncro isnt shot, i have a friend who had problems shifting becasue his synscro is ****ed up. im not really good at trannies but i tought id give you some feedback...[X(]

Old 06-06-2006, 12:44 PM

I'm not sure what a syncro is or how to check it...

Old 06-08-2006, 05:34 PM

Just thought of something... say I were to put too much transmission fluid in.. what kind of problem would that cause?

Old 06-08-2006, 06:11 PM

now that you mention it mine does that too at night itll run smooth but during the day its very sluggish... i thought id put a intake or change the filter if that will make a diffrence but im not sure.. if anyone has ideas please lemme know

Old 06-08-2006, 06:15 PM

ORIGINAL: eclipseRS21

now that you mention it mine does that too at night itll run smooth but during the day its very sluggish... i thought id put a intake or change the filter if that will make a diffrence but im not sure.. if anyone has ideas please lemme know
Mine's having transmission problems, not any sort of intake problems. Air intake will not change anything. You may have a different problem than I do.

Old 06-08-2006, 06:18 PM

well im jus thinking i could have a tranny problem too i hope not

Old 06-08-2006, 06:20 PM

ORIGINAL: eclipseRS21

well im jus thinking i could have a tranny problem too i hope not
Ditto. I don't feel like spending thousands to get it rebuilt or to buy a new one.

Old 06-08-2006, 06:25 PM

It's gonna seem like the tranny is fine when it is cooler because the fluid is still thick until the car heats up then it thins out then it will slip..Outside temp doesn't have anything to do with it...I had a Ford Probe with that same exact thing..It would shift fine until it got warm then it would slip between 2nd and 3rd..I put off getting it looked at and I guess I waited too long...It completely let go one night on my way home from work...Pieces went flying everywhere!!...Cost me a little over $700 for a used tranny and labor which was a steal for me...Plus I had to rent a U-Haul car dolly to get it down there which cost me like $120...My suggestion is to park it until you go get it looked at..You don't want to drive it anymore and risk blowing it apart like mine did and having a huge *** repair bill.

Quick Reply: Auto transmission problem