2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

AWD Spyder: Motor Thoughts....

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2005, 02:28 PM
Default AWD Spyder: Motor Thoughts....

New guy to the forum.

I am in the middle of doing an AWD swap into a 97 Spyder. For the motor I was thinking a 2.3 Jackon Motor 6 bolt with EVO turbo......

Any thoughts on that with reliability and has anyone done a stroker kit in a AWD car. I searched the forum but found little.....

Thanks to all in advance,

Val

Old 12-27-2005, 02:41 PM
Default RE: AWD Spyder: Motor Thoughts....

Have heard form a few people that the stroker kist are well worth the money. how is the AWD convert going?

Old 12-27-2005, 03:31 PM

as for the answer to your question, you could probably find the answer on www.dsm tuners.com (take out the space). I'm sure you could find somebody there with a stroker in a AWD.

have you done any documentation on the project? it would help out the community alot knowing that somebody has actually done this project and has details on parts, cost, modifications, etc.

Old 12-28-2005, 03:09 AM

I have one...worth it...

Old 12-28-2005, 03:06 PM

there are a ton of stroked AWD cars. EVOs included

Old 12-28-2005, 04:18 PM

It is not bad. Mostly bolt up except the driveshaft mounts and some mods to the rear floor pan for the member bolts.....

Thanks for the advice....I called Jackson for some help. Can anyone point me to any other motor shops that build good DSM engines and/or where I can buy a crate motor?

I think the AWD swap is a good idea if you have a donor car right next to your spyder. I bought a 98 GSX donor....

Thanks again all,

Val

Old 12-28-2005, 04:25 PM

are you converting a N/T spyder or a turbo spyder?

Old 12-28-2005, 08:08 PM

ORIGINAL: eclipsed4u

are you converting a N/T spyder or a turbo spyder?
that is what is sounds like. the N\T spyder have the 4G64 motor and share the same frame as the GSX I belive so it makes a relitivly easy conversion from what I understand

Old 12-29-2005, 09:55 AM

well if a motor rebuild it is than the best place to go is the local macinest. They will know what is best for your application and may make some suggestions that you will be thankfull for in the future. They do stuff like this all day long and know what works and what dose not.

Old 12-29-2005, 12:03 PM

Sorry about that......its a Spyder turbo.......

I have the rear suspension hung with the AWD gas tank. I am taking out the interior to do the drive shaft mounts and then I will drop in the AWD tranny and TX case....For the work I was thinking of doing the motor at the same time (stroker kit and EVO turbo with upgraded fuel manage) but I am not sure yet.....

BTW, do the Spyder owners think there is a lot of body flex? I was pondering a roll bar and some weld stiffening...

Thanks all,

V

Quick Reply: AWD Spyder: Motor Thoughts....