2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

AWD vs. tires

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2006, 07:30 AM
Default AWD vs. tires

ok, this is probly stupid, i should know the answer to this already, i broke my t-case - broke a tranny, now i have been running with FWD for about 500 miles,my new t-case is here -i managed to burn about 1/16"-1/8" of tread off the front tires and theyre now slightly shorter than the rears - should i...1 buy 4 new tires? 2 put the rears up front and try to burn them off till they match in size / tread depth? or 3 put the AWD together and hope i dont burn up the VC being that its only about 1/16" or sodifference in tread depth[>:]- i know they should all be the same, but theyre not worn too much more than the rears, i'm just afraid of cooking the VC in the trans - and this size of tire isnt the cheapest thing to buy 4 of.
switching them around and doing burnouts would be fun, but my crazy *** will end up with a transmission scattered all over the road again

Old 12-26-2006, 12:48 PM
Default RE: AWD vs. tires

1. If you have the cash, yea, other wise just get 2 new ones. 2. HELL NO!!!! 3. id do this

Old 12-26-2006, 07:18 PM

ORIGINAL: paintballproam

. 2. HELL NO!!!!
whats wrong with FWD burnouts?, lol

Old 12-26-2006, 07:29 PM

theres no possible way for you to be "running in front wheel drive" with a transfer case removed.
the center differential/viscous coupling will slip.
that is, until you overheat it violently (which takes about 2 minutes) and sieze it solid. If in fact you're driving with the transfer case removed without any problem, you have already siezed your center differential (its quite easy to do).

Old 12-26-2006, 07:46 PM

Old 12-26-2006, 08:27 PM

nothings wrong with FWD burnouts in a fwd car. But if you do it in an AWD you will easily burn up your viscous coupling

Old 12-27-2006, 02:35 AM

ORIGINAL: Manybrews

theres no possible way for you to be "running in front wheel drive" with a transfer case removed.
the center differential/viscous coupling will slip.
that is, until you overheat it violently (which takes about 2 minutes) and sieze it solid. If in fact you're driving with the transfer case removed without any problem, you have already siezed your center differential (its quite easy to do).
You wanna bet?! the VC and center diff only go to drive the rear, the front is direct gear to gear
the VC will not slip or seize spider gears, you need to know what your talking about before you make a post like that
i suggest you try it out sometime, if you were to run RWD only with a front axle removed and have not welded or spooled the center diff, then you will have a problem

Old 12-27-2006, 07:49 PM

ORIGINAL: racerx55

You wanna bet?! the VC and center diff only go to drive the rear, the front is direct gear to gear
the VC will not slip or seize spider gears, you need to know what your talking about before you make a post like that
i suggest you try it out sometime, if you were to run RWD only with a front axle removed and have not welded or spooled the center diff, then you will have a problem
um, no they dont.

I have worked for mitsu for 15 years, you know. The center differential would serve no purpose if you directly powered the front tires.. it would have no way to function.

you have siezed (or had an already siezed) center diff/viscous coupling.

i suggest YOU study up on how this transaxle works. you can do that when you take it apart to replace your center differential.

Trust me, Ive seen people do what you've done before.
although this is actually a getrag unit out of a 3000gt, the architecture is the same.. the center differential housing receives torque through its body, and then the front differential is driven off one side of the center diff and the rear output shaft is driven off the other side, exactly like the mitsu unit. The only difference here is that the getrag uses a planetary center differential whereas the mitsu unit uses a spider gear arrangement.

Old 12-27-2006, 09:27 PM

I dunno, but it would be nice to know which one of you is right.. Im leaning towards manybrews on this one

Old 12-27-2006, 09:43 PM

ORIGINAL: TheAdvocate

I dunno, but it would be nice to know which one of you is right.. Im leaning towards manybrews on this one
Unfortunatly for him, Im 100 percent correct. And Ive seen people do what hes done before. The center diff lasts about 1-5 minutes.
he will be able to continue to drive it after he reinstalls the transfer case, but the car will "crab" around corners like an old 4 wheel drive truck due to the fact that the center diff is now siezed solid, like a spool. In essence his car has become a true four wheel drive instead of all wheel drive.

Quick Reply: AWD vs. tires