2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Axel Problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2006, 02:02 AM
Default Axel Problem

This morning I started my car and as I droped the clutch and turned the steering wheel, I stepped on the gas and heard this clicking noise followed my hard jerking back and forth. At the time I thought it was my clutch that had gone out but later asked my dad and he looked under and said that my left axel needed to be replased. Im going to a machanic tommorow to get that verified. I just want to know if this has happened to anybody else and if it is a common problem?

Old 04-05-2006, 11:31 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Axel Problem

If you cut the wheel hard and it clicks your CV joint is bad (The noise will not exist when driving straight only in turns). If it's clicking it's near death. You can't just replace the joint you have to replace the whole half shaft.

Old 04-05-2006, 11:33 AM

i've only heard of the axles going bad in 3G's with over 350whp. first time i've heard of a stock(or nearly stock) 3G having axle problems.

Old 04-05-2006, 04:23 PM

cv joints can go bad on any car, I went though 2 sets with my civic... but that thing was an off roading machine.

Old 04-05-2006, 07:04 PM
Super Moderator

I completely DESTROYED the LH CV in an '86 Omni. Used the Omni to push my brother's car home. Parked on the sidewalk aimed into the driveway and let her sit for a sec. Then I got back in and put it in gear let off the clutch and I didn't move... Got the car pushed into the drive (This was dead of winter too) and went alking back to my brother's mustang. Looked at the sidewalk where the car wouldn't move and see ball bearings and the metal jacket that holds them in place lying there...

Old 04-05-2006, 07:05 PM
Super Moderator

Oh and you'll NEVER have a CV joint go bad in a RWD car (Mostly cuz they don't HAVE CV's LOL). So not ANY car can have CV problems.

Old 04-05-2006, 08:04 PM

will a bad CV joint cause the car to jerk back and forth?

Old 04-05-2006, 09:20 PM
Super Moderator

Possibly. Does it jerk in time with the ticking? If so then it sounds like you've already lost a ball bearing and every time it jerks it's hitting the spot that there SHOULD be a bearing but isn't one there.

Old 04-06-2006, 01:22 AM

I took it to a shop and found out that its not an axel but its my transmition. The guy told me that I have broken berings in the tranny. Another person told me that my differential is broken. I dont know much about the inside of the tranny but my question is if I buy a diff will that fix the whole berings problem? Does anybody know where I can get a new diff? And will I be able to replace it myself or will I have to take it to a shop and pull the whole tranny out?

Old 04-06-2006, 04:38 AM

Unless you have a really really big jack, and a transmission jack. its ridiculously hard. Trust me.....ive tried.

Quick Reply: Axel Problem