2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Bad Ecm??

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 10:58 PM
Default Bad Ecm??

Well after many new sensors and ALOT of $...... my car is still not fixed. Im thinking i have a bad Ecm. It idles really rough and if i dont give it gas at redlights it dies. It gets pulses of fuel causing the car to jerk really hard. And it is hard to start up once warm. I read up online about bad Ecm symptoms and mine seems to fall into their catagorys. I just wanted a couple other opinions on this from everyone on here that owns a dsm. O yea... i also read that i cannot just swapp Ecm from a junk yard...... These Ecm's have to be flashed and programmed to your vin. If you unplug your old Ecm, it has a REALLY good chance of loosing its program and will need to be reflashed. Sound legit or is this all bs?

SPECIFIC TO OBD-II (1995-2004) CHRYSLER/MOPAR GM/CHEVY
OBD-II computers in cars are now equipped with the greatest technology available. At the factory, they must be flashed or programmed to fit the specific requirements of the make and model and application. You can no longer acquire a used unit and install it into the vehicle, nor can you just repair them. Once they are removed, they loose their programming in most cases and MUST be reprogrammed to the application as specified by the VIN (vehicle identification) number. OBD-II computers' attributes specific to these models is often the way they are manufactured (jell filled-designed to keep moisture and heat from adversely affecting the unit) and the way they are mounted (inside engine compartment often to the engine). This design was intended to better fit the technology. The problem is they are exposed to the elements the engine is exposed to and are still damaged from movement and from internal heat. We now offer factory units programmed for "plug and play". Meaning, once it is purchased, it is not necessary to go to the dealer to have it programmed. We also offer programming for most OBD-II units that have "lost" their memory. VIN and mileage are necessary and other models require more info to accommodate this procedure.

Old 07-02-2008, 11:08 PM
Default RE: Bad Ecm??

if your having idle problems, have you tryed to mess with the BISS to adjust the idle? did you check your plugs and wired to see if you have spark? im sorry if you answered these questions already in a previous post....i dont remember the post

Old 07-03-2008, 11:07 AM

The Idle surges. one minute it will be running fine then it will jump up and down between 1-2k.
My CEL stays on even after i have installed all new sensors and reset the codes
Car jerks really hard when im going down the road from fuel pulses

Old 07-03-2008, 02:17 PM
Super Moderator

What parts have you replaced? What is the check engine light on for?

Old 07-03-2008, 02:23 PM

The CEL is on throwing up codes AIT sensor low input, IAT sensor high input. It has a brand new sensor in it....
Sensors replaced..... IAT , MAP, TBS, coolant temp,
Parts replaced... Throttlebody

Old 07-03-2008, 02:26 PM
Super Moderator

Did you check the wiring from the iat sensor to the ecu?

Old 07-03-2008, 02:37 PM

No i havent checked the wiring from the iat to the ecu. But what would that have to do with the idle surges, fuel surges,and the dying? I can unplug the IAT when the car is having a "Good" day and runs just fine. I think im going to try and reset the ecm. While im at work tonight i will unplug my ground, and leave it for 15mins

Old 07-03-2008, 02:54 PM
Super Moderator

What code are you getting? po112 or po113?

Old 07-03-2008, 03:41 PM

Im not sure, havnt been to advanced in about a week. I know it says IAT low input. Then another IAT high input

Old 07-03-2008, 03:43 PM
Super Moderator

So you have both codes?

Quick Reply: Bad Ecm??