2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

BOARED block

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2006, 06:03 PM
Default BOARED block

hey family, im wanting to get either my block boared out, or buy a pre-boared out block when my taxes come in. 1 which do you recomened doing? and 2 where would i find the service OR part?? yes i know that i need to have forged pistons to go with it, and the rods. any help is appreciated. I have a 99 eclipse GS.

Old 01-09-2006, 06:31 PM
Default RE: BOARED block

talk to a local machine shop.

PS...its bore the engine.

Old 01-09-2006, 06:31 PM
Super Moderator

I'd go with a 4G63 engine hopefully that's what's in there already. It all depends on if the car is your daily driver or not. If it is then I'd say find another block get it bored and built then drop it in when you've finished. If you can afford to have the car sit for a while then get the current block bored. I'd also recommend port and polishing the intake/head. Just a thought for ya there.

Old 01-09-2006, 06:32 PM

ORIGINAL: Sanguinius

I'd go with a 4G63 engine hopefully that's what's in there already. It all depends on if the car is your daily driver or not. If it is then I'd say find another block get it bored and built then drop it in when you've finished. If you can afford to have the car sit for a while then get the current block bored. I'd also recommend port and polishing the intake/head. Just a thought for ya there.
as per his signature, he has a '99 GS....so its the 420a

Old 01-09-2006, 07:38 PM

thanks eclipsed, yes it is a 420a, yes it is my daily driver, but i still want to bore this thing out as much as possible, as for "Sangu" i do plan on port and polising my intake this year also, as soon as i get my engine (j/k) bored, my forged pistons and my new rods - then once i save enough, i'll be portin and polishin. anybody know of anywhere that sells pre'bored blocks??? i found a couple on Slowboy but i duno if this is the kind of price im going to be looking at anywhere else:

http://www.slowboyracing.com/shop.php?sid=&cat=1572 these blocks come with the forged pistons, rods and everything (click on the pic to see the details)

any help, again, is appreciated.

Old 01-09-2006, 08:26 PM
Super Moderator

Well jeez you asked about other things that could be done and I was givin out some ideas SHEESH... If you buy one pre-bored then I'd get things done right as you're building it. Why wait until you decide a few months after driving it that you want to get bigger valves or something when you can get it done now and have the time to do it right. That's all I was saying that and the fact that if you can afford it get the pre-bored block instead of boring yours cuz that'll let you drive your car while you wait to get the engine done right.

Old 01-09-2006, 09:55 PM

i wasn't puttin you down man, i appreciate your help in advice about other areas. apx how much am i look at if i take it to the local machine shop and have it boared? also apx how long would it take? apx what is the MAX boar you can do to a 420a short block? thanks

Old 01-09-2006, 11:38 PM
Super Moderator

As to how much you'll be lookin at it all depends the shop and area. Labor is different in different areas. Like regular auto techs here in Virginia Beach it's about $80 an hour labor. Go to DC though and it's $120 an hour in labor. You'll have to call local shops and find out. I'm not sure the max bor I don't think I'd go much more than 60 over prolly safer to stick with 40 over but then again I'm also not exactly sure on wall sizes either... I'm not a 420A man myself anyone else know about them?

Old 01-10-2006, 12:48 AM

what does that mean?? im not to savvy in this part of an engine. what does 40 over and 60 over mean?

Old 01-10-2006, 09:50 AM

I had a 95GS here is what i did riped the motor out painted underthe hood teh color that i was going to paint the car took the motor to the local macinest told him i wanted somthing that would be reliable but i could slap a lower boost turbo 10-12psi on it and get no problems. then next wekend and about $1250.00 dollars later my car was running once more so best place to go would be the local macine shop like previously said they know what parts to use for what you want and they guarantee all there work X miles and/or X years.

Quick Reply: BOARED block