2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Body Kit

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 07:27 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Body Kit

Wow we have alot of morons in this thread that keep ruining it with bad advice. IMO there is nothing better than the stock 97-99 front bumper. If it were me thats what i would do. Your tastes will change with time and trust me you will end up not wanting your bumper after a while. But if you are hell bent on getting one, here is the deal.

There is no fiberglass bumper that will bolt up without needing at least alittle work. Its just how they are made. Especially from ebay you will have more work than you know what to do with. If you can actually find a urethane then go for it, but a good quality one is hard to find unless its from an actual dealer (aka bomex, wings west) rather than those ebay dealers that buy allthier stuff from warehouses and the quality is aweful. But the good thing with urethane is you dont need to worry about cracking.

DO NOT MOLD THE KIT. That is just stupid. All it will be is more trouble if you want it off. Some people like molding cuz it gets rid of lines, but its again more problems later on.

And for the exhaust, there is no gain from dual exhaust. And no point in doing it. Just stay with single. I dont think the eclipse was made to have a dual muffler setup. It just doesnt look right

Old 10-01-2007, 08:29 AM

thank you for repeating mostly what we said before lol... He's already made it clear that he wants to get a body kit, so instead of trying to talk him out of it we're trying to go with the right set-up. yea, urethane is the material of your stock bumper now, it will flex (unlike fiberglass) and will not crack. the urethane will bolt up directly, but the fiberglass you will need to drill your own holes to mount under the fender and in between the headlights. I dunno what else TE thinks you'd have to do unless you got an extremely crappy bumper that the fitment was horrible, but thats all i had to do to mine. Both to my ebaybomexone and to my new $300 drifter one. I molded mine cause it was strictly for show purposes, and i was going to school for auto body at the time and wanted a body project. This was about two years ago and iF Ihadn't of molded the kit on i definitely would have taken it off by now and reverted back to stock. If you go with fiberglass, you will be petrified and paranoid everytime ur driving down the road thinking that an animal is going to come out and ruin ur front bumper. thats what happened to my new one that i just fixed (got a huge crack from a raccoon). This is just gonna cost you more and more money to get it fixed everytime it cracks. So get a urethane one, you can find them on andysautosport.com and extremedimensions.com, etc. Oh, and were you by any chance wondering why i gota new bumper? well here's your answer
Name:  Picture010.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  26.0 KB
Name:  Picture009.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  28.5 KB
That happened from me bottoming out really bad with 3 other people in the car... DONT GET FIBERGLASS

Old 10-01-2007, 09:06 AM

Nothing personal sk8dudety, but the upper front lip on that bumper looks like a fat lip.....[sm=laughat.gif][sm=icon_stickpoke.gif]

Like the present one better.....

Old 10-01-2007, 09:10 AM

Body kits in general = [:'(]
If you didnt like the way the car looked, why did you buy it?

Old 10-01-2007, 09:15 AM
Super Moderator

all i was saying sk8ter is that most aftermarket fiberglass bumpers will not fit totally correct. They will have spaces in them. They wont be the right length. And the sides wont fit right. We had a kid that bought a kit of ebay for his car and every single peice needed to be cut and fiberglass work needed to be done to get it to fit correctly. and even then there were gaps around the lights, ect

Old 10-01-2007, 12:14 PM

yea i can see that, the gaps werent perfect. That was another reason why i molded it in... but again thats a LOT of work and then ur stuck with that look for the rest of the time you have the car. and tj i agree, thats why i didnt get the same bumper again.

Old 10-01-2007, 02:14 PM
Banned

There was only one person that gave crap advice lol

Old 10-01-2007, 03:52 PM

I'm still voting on urathane it's more expensive because it'll get you thru hell and back! lol. Carbon fiber and fiber glass CRACK when you hit them on anything.. animals, steap driveways, anything. lol. molding it on is probably not a good idea.. imagine what happened to sk8's car.. if it had happened AFTER molding!! yikes. no good. i reallllllly like that first link kit.. it looks really good. Go for it! As far as dual exhaust goes.. i'm afraid i'm with everyone else.. it wouldn't really need it. I'm sure the car will be hot! Just go with your gut and your brain!

Old 10-01-2007, 03:54 PM

lol, yea, true that, I def. cracked someones prelude body kit in half on a racoon once.

Old 10-01-2007, 05:46 PM
Banned

Carbon fiberis actually really really hard to crack. It does have some flexability to it.

Quick Reply: Body Kit