2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Boost leak?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 01:42 PM
Default Boost leak?

Alright, i know can i do a boost leak test.. but first would like to know if it really is one? Well, i put just over 200 miles already after i finished my car. I started to hit it a little, and when i would hit it, it would hesitate and sound like a loud woosh till i let go of the gas. It wouldnt even "go" either. So i would just let go of the gas and shift. Sound like a boost leak? Seems like it is having a hard time "breathing."

Old 01-30-2007, 02:14 PM
Default RE: Boost leak?

a boost leak that big you would have to notice. . . does your bov sound when you let off the gas? if not it's gotta be before the uicp and i you can actually hear the air from the turbo... it would have to be huge

Old 01-30-2007, 03:35 PM

ya know, and you are gonna hate me for saying this, but I gotta
It could be broken ring lands on your pistons
I had a built 00 turbo Si, Weisco Piston, Eagle rods, skunk2 full valve-train... blah blah blah
It started doing the same thing after i cranked the boost a little to eagerly...
turned out it was the ring-lands on the pistons that had cracked and were letting air bypass them.
oh the turbo would still spool up fine, just wouldnt make any damn power.

Try starting the car, letting it idle up to operating temp, and then with the motor running, remove the oil cap.
If you notice a steady stream of air coming out at a pretty good volumeand speed, then you know your screwed.

on the other hand, if you dont, your safe.
On that side of the coin, I would suggest checking all your down-pipe connections, you may have forgotten, or blown out a gasket, or a bolt may have come loose, allowing all the air to bypass the turbo, Dont ask me how I know to check this one two...!

good luck tho

Old 01-30-2007, 03:53 PM

Yes you I can hear the BOV when letting go of the gas! So, check the engine oil cap? What if i can hear the BOV when letting go of the gas?

Old 01-30-2007, 03:58 PM
Banned

If you can hear the BOV then you are boosting...

Maybe its that injector harness?

Just for your info guys... there was a fire in his engine bay that sparked up right by the injector harness. Im thinking either one of his injectors is not working 100% or the harness is not conductiong properly and its causing some kind of fuel cut.

Old 01-30-2007, 04:07 PM

So its not a boost leak?

Old 01-30-2007, 04:13 PM

we haven't eliminate that possability but if you had a fire in your engine bay new your fuel harnes... there is a good chance your engine is bogging b/c of not enough fuel if ur engine is bogging when you hit it. mine did the same thing when i had that plug in my fuel rail, it would run fine until i got on it and it would just die... and if you aren't firing in all cylinders or every time that air MAY be the air escaping the cylinder that wasn't detonating... i duno

Old 01-30-2007, 04:24 PM

Well, before my head gasket blew, it (1 injector harness) was also burnt and I had no problems...

Old 01-30-2007, 05:39 PM

duno dude, boost leak check it. . . if you don't have one and don't know anybody that does. . . it's REALLY easy and really cheap to make one... lowe's pvc pipe, pep boys coupler and ur good to go

Old 01-30-2007, 06:01 PM

Well, i just drove it again, and this time i couldnt really hear the BOV. At first i did. but not this time. Its definitely a loud hiss. I guess i should check for boost leaks. Thats gotta be it!

Quick Reply: Boost leak?