2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

boost leak tester dont work

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2005, 10:05 PM
Default boost leak tester dont work

I made my tester and the thing is I dont have a compressor. I do have a bike pump with a psi gage. I pumped for awhile bout 10 mins and nothing. I took the plug off the valve and released the air and only a little psst went by. like a second. Now do I have a major leak that's why I can't build pressure or am I just not putting enough air into the system, hence I need a compressor. The forums said a bike pump will work though.. There are no leaks in the tester cause it and the pump hold the pressure fine but when I hook it up nothing. [:@]

Old 12-24-2005, 11:30 PM
Default RE: boost leak tester dont work

If its not holding pressure... you have a nice leak. Go to a wawa or someting similar(nj is blessed wit the wawa) and use their pump, pull up pop the hood, take the intake off, bust out the tester, find the leak, throw everything back togather, tip you hat to anyone staring at you, go home, fix it.

Old 12-24-2005, 11:46 PM
Super Moderator

LOL I like the tip the hat thing... Especially since I'd look REALLY weird tippin my fedora to the crowd LOL

Old 12-25-2005, 01:08 AM

Don't forget to disconnect anything leading to the PCV system from the intake. You DON"T want to pressurize the crank case period or you may blow an oil seal. With a bicycle pump, you probably won't pump enough air volume to create any pressure to do that, but if you do go to wawa (whatever that is) and use a compressor, make sure you do it. Also, due to valve overlap (which both the intake and exhaust valves are open at the same time)- you may need to rotate the engine (by tapping the starter) so that there will be no blow through from the engine. If your not building any pressure, stick your ear at the exhaust pipe and listen for a sound of air flowing out, if you hear it, you're loosing pressure due to valve overlap. Tap the engine over until the sound goes away.

Good Luck!

Joel, CA

Old 12-26-2005, 04:55 PM

you also need to disconnect your boost controller and seal off the turbo compressor nipple. boost will leak through that

Old 12-26-2005, 07:00 PM

almost seems like it would be easier to just replace anything to do w/ holding boost, (ic piping, hoses, etc..) I think I have a boost leak also, and built a tester, I found one big leak, on the 90 deg elbow on upper piping, I'm thinking of buying a hard pipe from Dejon Tool or something...