2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Bought a 97 eclipse from a guy

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2004, 01:01 PM
Default Bought a 97 eclipse from a guy

could someone help me out, it is a 97 eclipse manual. when i start the engine, it idle find but when i try to get it moving either reversing or forwarding, the rpm will go low and the engine stops. it does restart find but same problem will occur. but then, if i got the car moving for sometime, the driving was fine, no problem at all. its like i need to make the engine warm, i guess. i know that the clutch needs to be replaced since it has a bad bearing in it. does this may cause the problem or else? hope to hear from you guys, Thanks.

Shamsul

Old 10-13-2004, 01:17 PM
Default RE: Bought a 97 eclipse from a guy

I'd say for the most part, it's the clutch going out that's causing it to stall. Do you have good pedal pressure?

Old 10-13-2004, 03:36 PM

no i dont think so. i had to press the clutch way down to shift the gears. the acceleration pedal is fine i guess (comparing to other cars i've driven).

Old 10-13-2004, 08:33 PM

i dont think its totally the clutch...when my clutch went bad, the pedal just went spongey and stuck to the floor when it was depressed...and when u try and start it it just jumpes forward and stalls...if i were you, i'd go to the nearest mitsubishi dealer adnd aks a mechanic watsup..he should know watsup...

Old 10-13-2004, 10:31 PM

well here's what i found out more. it seems to stall when the rpm go below 500 especially when cornering or stopping. i can still drive it ok if the rpm did not go lower that 500. any thoughts?

Old 10-15-2004, 11:15 AM

When it stalls, does it just completely shut off or does it kind of jerk around a bit and then die down? DSM's have a weird type of clutch pedal setup, when the clutch is going out, the pedal pressure drops to point where you need press the clutch all the way to floor to shift gears. So basically, the life of the clutch can be measured somewhat by the disengagement point of the clutch. But it still depends on how you're clutch went out. Depending on if the clutch plate is cracked or fractured, any of the little pressure finger thingies(what are those called again? anybody know?) are bent or broken, or the plate comes apart laterally, all these things can cause varying pedal feels. When my clutch went out, i got a little pedal pressure, and the pedal came back up about halfway, but my clutch died due to long life. It lasted 90k miles! Not too bad for a stock clutch, but oh well. But yeah, Greddygst has probably given you the best advice, get to a mechanic as soon as possible.

Old 10-15-2004, 12:10 PM

well my car almost reaches 90K. when i try to make a corner or stopping for the red light, i will press the clutch and release the gear to neutral. in doing this, the rpm will drop so much that it will stall the car. i do feel a little jerk and the car will stop. i'll bring the car to a mechanic and update about it.

Old 10-15-2004, 01:10 PM

Depending on if the clutch plate is cracked or fractured, any of the little pressure finger thingies(what are those called again? anybody know?)
spyder it is a pressure plate.

Old 10-15-2004, 02:48 PM

i was havin the jerkin problem in my car and had a mech my dad works with take a look at it, they almost fixed it by engagin the e-brake and feathering the clutch in first ( dont ask me how or why this worked cause i have no clue) but it seemed to tighten the clutch down a little, i still need a new one but ill get another 1000 miles out of it (thats what they told me).......... seriously i dont have a problem with it anymore (for now)............