New Members Area Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself.

new guy, old guy, 996 turbo owner, EVO for son

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 04:08 PM
Default new guy, old guy, 996 turbo owner, EVO for son

Hey guys-
I am probably old enough to be most of you guys' dads so let me say in advance please excuse the incoherrent ramblings of an old gear head!

Here's the skinny: I own a stage 3 Porsche 996 turbo. Car makes about 700 at the crank- haven't dynoed but enough guys have the same setup to say comfortably it is close to 700. Actually, and a little tidbit for you guys who might come across one of these cars-- 700 is all you can getw/out changing fuel delivery i.e. injectors, etc. and when you do that you need to do internals or get ready for the big bang.

Anyway, I am getting ready to buy my son his first car. We are going to build it together and since one of my close friends happens to own a Mits dealership, coupled with the fact that the EVO is one heckuva smokin' ride, it is a no brainer that an EVO will be his new sled.

Here's the question:
What can one do to one to make it run with or close to a 700hp PCar and what's it gonna cost me? I am not worried about voiding the warranty, just looking for a great project for a little father son time.

Ideas?

Thanks guys, great site by the way....looking forward to getting to know you guys. and if anyone thinks I'm "bs"ingshoot me a pm and I'll send proof via pics of the Porsche and the Mits dealership owner's cell number!

Old 01-28-2008, 05:07 PM
Default RE: new guy, old guy, 996 turbo owner, EVO for son

Welcome to the forums, Which model evo are you looking to get. Just curious because i know the evo 8,9 can handle around 500 whp on stock internals, but im not sure about the 10. Also post some pics of the porsche, im sure we would all love to see this beast

Old 01-28-2008, 05:11 PM
Banned

Well, all depends what EVO you mean. Do you mean the IX?

If you mean the IX or VIII, you can find parts all over the place. They can handle 530whp on stock internals, but after that things get a littel crazy.

In order to do that you would need...

GT40R turbo (someone correct me if they have a better idea)
Tial Wastegate
1000cc Injectors
AEM EMS
EXEDY Twin Disc at least
Built transmission
Built motor (recomended: stock bore, destroked)
Exhaust manifold
Intake manifold
Fuel rail
Fuel pump
Fuel pressure regulator
Font mount intercooler
Meth Injection would be a good idea too
Tial Blow off valve
Boost controller
Boost gauge
Wideband Gauge

Nothing else really comes to mind.

This is going to run you at least 20k. If you have someone else do the work, who knows.

Aside from that, ADOPT ME!

Old 01-28-2008, 05:14 PM
Banned

The reason we ask about what model it is (VIII, IX, or X) is because the VIII and the IX have been out for a while, and a LOT of people have parts for them (listed below) and the X just came out.... literally like last week. So, nobody has released anything for it.

You can find parts at:

Buschurracing.com
amsperformance.com

These two are the leading in EVO performance. They will also build the car for you if you so choose. However, this is likely to be costly.

Oh yeah.... ADOPT ME.

Old 01-28-2008, 05:29 PM

Damn sebba,not even trying to be subtle lol.

PS: **** sebba adopt me , or at least buy me an evo lol.

Old 01-28-2008, 06:11 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forums and since everyone is in a giving mood, anyone want to donate an evo to me???

Old 01-29-2008, 07:08 AM

Thanks guys. I was thinking a 10 but good point on the "newness" of them. 500 to the wheels on stock internals is nothing to sneeze at..... Funny we use most of the same parts. I have Garrett 28's, a Greddy, etc

I see Sebba says tranny...what's the deal there? are they bullet proof or garbage or somewhere in between? How many guys are running built motors WITH stock internals, and stock tranny's? Am I taking a trip to the ER for whiplash because of lag with a 40?

Thanks guys!

Old 01-29-2008, 11:31 AM
Rob
Banned

The tranny in the 9 is better than the 8. Hell, there's a tsb on the 8's 4th and 5th synchros. They get swapped out with 4th and 5th's from a 9. Go with the IX, you'll be happier.

Old 01-29-2008, 01:20 PM

Gotcha Rob, thanks. Now about that lag.....anyone?

You know, the internet is a wealth of information even for an old guy. Hell, in 24 hours I have narrowed down the car---something that would have taken me probably two months by making phone calls. Thanks guys!

I don't know how to attach a pic but if someone wants to give me their email I would send a pic and they could post it. I am a week or so out from a new front cap and rear wing----it will look hot when done....car is black on black with Champion RG-5's.....

Stock is boring!

Old 01-29-2008, 02:28 PM
Banned

Lag isnt anything on the stock turbo. With a 40R turbo.... lag is going to be a BITCH. Thats why i recomended you get a 2.0L destroked.... because that means a 10k rev limit : P

Well the transmissions will last as long as you are good to them. I mean, if you launch at redline all the time... obviously you are going to pop something.

Well, i think 540whp + 15% = 621. Thats the aprox crank hp. Power produced per displacement... thats BAD *** for a 2.0L stock internal 4 banger to handle.

There are a lot of people pushing big power on stock internals and tranny. EMonz57 is one of them. He runs about 520 @ the crank.

The major weak link in the EVO 8 is the clutch.

Garrett T28 turbo's are tiny by the way... great spool time but impossible to make high numbers from.

Honestly, if you are serious about this build, i would pick up an EVO VIII. 1) They have a crap load of aftermarket support. 2) They are really cheap now, and you can spend more on the car. 3) Its better than the IX for making big power, because above 500ish the MIVEC becomes a limiting factor.

Quick Reply: new guy, old guy, 996 turbo owner, EVO for son