2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Bought a 99 RS and need some advice for mods

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 12:07 PM
Default Bought a 99 RS and need some advice for mods

Hello
So I just bought a 99 eclipse RS and want to put some things on it. I was thinking about a cold air intake and was considering K&N. Was wondering what people think about K&N. It seems to be cheaper than Injen and AEM which is good for me cause I am kinda short on cash, but if it's not as good as injen or AEM I prefer to wait and buy something good. Also, does anyone know of a good site to buy it on?
Any other suggestions on what should I put into the RS to make it go a little faster?
Thanks!

Old 10-09-2007, 12:29 PM
Default RE: Bought a 99 RS and need some advice for mods

K&N is a good brand in my opinion, ive used them on a few cars in the past and have never been disapointed. If you are looking to gain a little extra power than you will also need a good catback exhaust system. You need to be aware though that the 420a engine you have is never going to produce high hp numbers without alot of money to dump into it.

Old 10-09-2007, 12:56 PM

Thx!
I know that I won't be able to modify the engine to give much more HP without puting a lot of $$ which I don't have... I am just looking for some small mods that would make my car go a little faster.
Thanks for the reply, any suggestions where I should get the cold air intake from?

Old 10-09-2007, 02:02 PM

In my opinion it really doesnt matter on thebrands cold air intakes. you might even try to look on ebay for a decent one. As far as the exhaust goes i think greddy is one of the best around, and it will make your car sound amazing.

Old 10-09-2007, 11:47 PM

What seems to usually work out very well and cheap is buying an intake off ebay, use all the parts and hardware but ditch the filter and buy an AEM or K and N replacement one.

Old 10-10-2007, 06:28 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: dorian7

What seems to usually work out very well and cheap is buying an intake off ebay, use all the parts and hardware but ditch the filter and buy an AEM or K and N replacement one.
The one thing ive seens from ebay piping is that the bends on them suck. The hangers dont always line up correctly and the welds are often crap and the hangers can snap. Id just spend the little extra and get a good kit like aem or Injen. Either of those are good.

Old 10-10-2007, 08:27 AM

It just seems pointless to spend more money than you have to on a cold air intake. they will both have about the same hp gain, which isnt much at all.

Old 10-10-2007, 09:04 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: bestwiseguy

It just seems pointless to spend more money than you have to on a cold air intake. they will both have about the same hp gain, which isnt much at all.
i agree about the HP gains but you arnt paying more for HP you are paying more for quality of material and fitament in the engine. Like i said there are alot of problems if you get the wrong ebay one and you couldend up spending more becuase you have to buy a new one. Know what i mean. It happened to emonz when he got an ebay brand for his old 3g. The hanger snapped for the CAI pipe and because its a 2-peice he just made is a short ram. However the intake no longer had any way of being supported and it ended up putting a crack in his intake manifold. So he could have saved alot of time and money by spending the little extra on the brand intake. Dont get me wrong there are some good ebay intakes. But just know there is a risk involved in getting it cheap

Old 10-10-2007, 11:34 AM
Banned

Do some fuel mods. Pour a can of gas all over it... then get an aftermarket ignition... just something simple likea match........ and watch : )

Old 10-10-2007, 11:58 AM

ahahha i'm with Sebba here. no but really, with your engine you can buy an Ebay CAI and cat back exhaust and probably see the same numbers from a name brand which will cost you anywhere from 2-10x more. on another car, with a decent engine, that would actually take mods i'd never give you this advise but for your car, for your engine, yes ebay is ok.

Quick Reply: Bought a 99 RS and need some advice for mods