2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

BOV installation instead of Bypass

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2006, 05:14 PM
Default BOV installation instead of Bypass

I am a new member and i have a question. I have a 95 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST. I currently bought a Greddy Type RS BOV for my Eclipse and I can not get it to work. After reving my car, it would die out. I also tried driving it, put inbetween shifts the car will also die out. I have no idea what to do? I closed the hole of the intake pipe and put on the BOV. How can i get it work? I have also seen it done, but I have no idea how they got it to work?

Old 03-20-2006, 06:15 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: BOV installation instead of Bypass

Do you have a boost controller or anything yet?

Old 03-20-2006, 06:34 PM

The hole on the intake needs the air released from the BOV to be recirculated threw it. if you dont connect a tube from the BOV to the intake your car will always stutter and die out. your venting to the atmopshere to work properly you have to recirc it.

Old 03-20-2006, 08:39 PM

Not always, I have a few friends that vent their 2g's, try tightning the screw for the bov. Also check and make sure that the vac line to the top of the bov is secure.

Old 03-20-2006, 08:39 PM
Super Moderator

Duh my bad I didn't even catch that... Blah talk about going the long way to tell everyone he's venting to atmosphere...

Old 03-20-2006, 08:58 PM

ORIGINAL: slow420a

Not always, I have a few friends that vent their 2g's, try tightning the screw for the bov. Also check and make sure that the vac line to the top of the bov is secure.
NO matter what if you are venting you are running rich and it is hurting your performance though.. Lag is alot worse and it the BOV is NOT on its hardest setting it will stall or try to between shifts and you can tune that out with an SAFC but I still wouldnt do it.

Old 03-20-2006, 09:06 PM
Super Moderator

Think about it like this: Your turbo is shoving air into the engine. You hit the clutch and let off the gas so the engine closes the butterfly valve cutting down the amount of air able to enter but the turbo is still spooled up but slowing down. You've got this amount of air now that won't get into the engine but has already been calculated to be there by the ECU. Recirc that air into the intake and the ECU is right that air is there. Vent to atmosphere and your ECU isn't seeing that extra air BUT it still compensates for it by adding the extra fuel.

Old 03-20-2006, 09:12 PM

Solve the problem by not taking your foot off the gas... or getting a gfb dual vent bov.... or a stand alone... or recirculating.

Old 03-21-2006, 12:09 AM

ORIGINAL: slow420a

Solve the problem by not taking your foot off the gas... or getting a gfb dual vent bov.... or a stand alone... or recirculating.
yes...Venting on a car that need recirc is such a ricer move IMO lol. you basically say hey I dont care about performance it sounds loud thats all that matters

Old 03-21-2006, 12:11 AM

Basically, and its no like it wont make a sound if you dont vent.

But if you can power shift with out taking your foot off the gas you dont lose any performance.

Quick Reply: BOV installation instead of Bypass