2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

braided steel vacuum lines

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 04:28 PM
Default braided steel vacuum lines

I know its gonna be expensive and a bit over kill, but my question is: Would AN fittings be as leak free with air as with fluids? I don't really care about looks, I'm just looking for durability and something that once installed I won't have to mess with again. Thanks guys

Old 07-04-2008, 04:52 PM
Default RE: braided steel vacuum lines

I can't see why it would leak if they are built correctly. Yeah, that will cost you quite a bit of money since you would have to convert everything to accept the fittings and there would have to be some rearranging of the nipples to make room for those large fittings. I don't think it's worth it. Rubber vac lines are fine and last for a few years. I mean, look at some of these motors that have had the original ones on them. Besides, you can get better vac lines such as the silicone hoses which will stand up to dry rotting better and you can get them in all sorts of colors.

Old 07-04-2008, 04:58 PM

hey silver... I only have 4 vacuum lines so i don't think there would be any issues with the fittings. I'm just worried about leaks. All my fuel lines are SS with AN fittings and I know you're not supposed to use teflon tape on them, but would you recommend maybe teflon paste or sealant if I was gonna use it as vacuum lines? Thanks buddy

Old 07-06-2008, 02:49 AM

For air lines, I don't like the teflon paste because it takes forever and a year for it to dry. If you do use tape, make sure to put it on and leave it alone or you'll get bits and pieces of tape down the intake. If you do have to remove any lines with the tape on it, then be sure to clean it out.
I used teflon tape on my fuel fittings when I put my AFPR on. It leaked so I put some on and voila, no more leaking. But that was on the AFPR fittings and not on the threaded nipple and actual braided fitting (does that make sense?).
Anyway, I prefer the tape, but those fittings seal really well. I don't really think you would need the teflon tape or paste. Just tighten them down really good, do a boost leak test and if it does leak, then use it.