2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Brain Dead....Need Help.

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 05:29 AM
Default Brain Dead....Need Help.

As many of you who are always on this forum have seen, I have had a crrrap load of topic started on my dam DSM.
The thing is still not fixed and I can't figure it out. Help!?

In a nut shell:
The car started acting funky, bogging out at low RPMs when taking of in 1st gear, Bogging between shifts after reaching High RPMs, Running super Rich, and sputtering/misfiring.

When the car is in neutral I'll rev the engine. If pushing lightly on the gas pedal the car will effortlessly rev all the way to red line if i let it. If anything but a light touch is applied the RPMs will first drop and then start going up, around 3rpms the car will sputter/missfire 4-5 time until it finally stops and then revs normally into the Higer RPMs.

When starting the car from a dead stop in 1st gear, I'll start the car like any other Manual automobile. The car will start forward, raising in rpms like a normal car for a split second, then the car will drop rpms suddenly as if I wasn't giving it enough gas (though I'm giving enough). The car will bog until the turbo spools up and then the car will go. It feels as if I don't have any torque/horsepower until the turbo starts spooling.
I thought this had to do with my MAF. I bought a used one off EBay, but nothing changed when I installed it. I guess there could be a possibility the guy sold me a dud? ::shrugs:: STRANGE If i Unplug the MAF and drive around, the bogging in 1st gear and lack of power goes away. wtf?

Also, everytime (when the MAF is plugged in) the turbo spools up the stock boost gauge will drop down as if it didn't have any electricity going to it, but when there's no boost it sits at it's normal position.

mitsubishi service department told me I needed a new ECU. Since then I've bought 2 different ECUs, neither have fixed my problem. I've installed a new MAF and that hasn't done a thing.

Before you ask,
I do not have the BOV vented, all tubing is connected from the BOv to the Intake.
I have GReddy Intercooler piping, Bov, and SP Exhaust, Bombz INtake w/ K&N filter. Thats really it for mechanical upgrades.
At the moment I don't have a CEL, before changing out the MAF I had 3 codes. All pointing towards the MAF.

ANY HELP would be APPRECIATED!!!! Thanks everyone for sticking by and not kicking me out, i know you must be tired of hearing me cry about my DSM. LOL

Old 12-12-2006, 03:19 PM
Default RE: Brain Dead....Need Help.

well i would still guess you mighta got a bad MAF, my car was doin teh same crap but it was a loose clamp between teh MAF and turbo inlet, and one little tiny vaccum leak it took me a week to find
the major part of my problem was timing adjustment, yours being a 2g you dont have that option i take it,
did the boost guage do the same thing on the old MAF?? you could have a wire issue somehwere

Old 12-12-2006, 03:26 PM

for the bogging, i would check your feul injectors and fuel rail for slight clogging, then tighten everything if you haven't done so yet.

Old 12-12-2006, 05:38 PM

Ya, i've gone through and checked all connections and couldn't find anything there.

I'm going to borrow a buddy's MAF and see if that works.

Ya, The boost gauge did the same thing w/ the original MAF.

I'm going to put new plugs in later this week.

Old 12-12-2006, 06:42 PM

is the engine light on? Do you have a boost controller? I had my car acting this way I though my MAF was bad so I swapped it and it wasnt.. I had a bad TPS and was over boosting on top of that. so I turn done the boost all is fine other than small misfire type deal and my car almost acts like it is being vented. TPS and new plugs for the EVO

Old 12-12-2006, 08:20 PM

I was thinking it might be the TPS. How much does a new TPS usually run?

I've got some really nice plugs that i'm going to put in.

No, Don't have a CEL yet and don't have a boost controller. I pretty sure I'm running normal boost. when my aftermarket gauge was hooked up It said I was running 12 psi when the car was running normal. about 10 psi when the car was acting up.

since then i've unhooked any aftermarket gauges in hopes of fixing the problem.

Would the TPS change how my stock boost gauge is reading?

Old 12-13-2006, 12:14 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: PooT_Nation

I was thinking it might be the TPS. How much does a new TPS usually run?

I've got some really nice plugs that i'm going to put in.

No, Don't have a CEL yet and don't have a boost controller. I pretty sure I'm running normal boost. when my aftermarket gauge was hooked up It said I was running 12 psi when the car was running normal. about 10 psi when the car was acting up.

since then i've unhooked any aftermarket gauges in hopes of fixing the problem.

Would the TPS change how my stock boost gauge is reading?
TPS will run you around 150-180. And no a new tps wont change the reading. But 10psi is fine for stock boost

Old 12-13-2006, 03:46 PM

check your PM... or IM me. I stubbled on something that might help