Mitsubishi Diamante For the faithful Mitsubishi owner, this car offers high end luxury without high end luxury pricing.

Dead Car but not so dead ??

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 08:02 PM
Default Dead Car but not so dead ??

My car acts like its totally dead, however the interior lights light up. The car will not crank at all but will jump start fine. I had the battery tested and it tested fine. I think it actually has something to do with the door switch but I cannot track it to a specific short or fuse. The starter engages fine from a jump and the car will run fine until I shut it off then it's totally dead.

Still dead, starter is fine also. Inder the hood is a fuse box/ All the fuses are ok. The #3 switch or Solinoid clicks loudly when the ignition in turned to on. The users manual only addresses fuses so I do not know what this component actually is/ It has a stenciled low beam headlight on it so I'm sure it's part of the lights / Security / accidental lights on prevention system.
Anyone know what this think is called or have a mechanics manual that can tell me what this is ?

Last edited by KF97diamonte; 05-05-2010 at 08:10 AM. Reason: update
Old 05-05-2010, 01:38 PM
Banned

I have experienced the situation where the starter motor has worn, or dirty, brushes and the normal battery voltage (12.6V) is not enough to overcome the extra resistance, but a jump from another car with the engine running provides just enough additional voltage (usually 13.5V due to the alternator charging) to start the starter spinning. This is particularly so if the starter has become contaminated with oil dripping down from the very common cam plug oil leak on the 3.5L engine.

Try putting a voltmeter on the starter battery connector to see if the battery voltage is present. It should be about 12.6V with a charged battery. Then turn the key. If the voltage doesn't drop, you are looking at starter or solenoid problem causing the circuit to be open, or at least have excessive resistance. If the voltage drops below 10V, then you have excessive resistance in the battery cable going from the positive terminal of the battery to the starter battery connection.

See this thread for a downloadable service manual https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=35669.