Mitsubishi Endeavor This mid-sized sport utility vehicle offers a sporty look and excellent power, as well as a comfortable interior.

Not to kick a dead horse but (Cold start up engine chatter)

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 09:51 AM
Default Not to kick a dead horse but (Cold start up engine chatter)

Hey guys and gals, new owner of 05 LS AWD

Got pretty cold in Indy last week and had my first experience with the cold start chatter.

Needless to say , I immediately visited google and started researching on the issue. After hours of endless research, I had a good idea of what the issue/s could be until I stumbled upon a trick that has made mine go away every time (or at least so far).

I am still getting used to the heater controls and learned that it is very easy to engage the ac without knowing about it.

The other day, I had engaged the ac accidentally and while messing with the controls in a panic, the chatter went away after engaging and disengaging the ac a couple of times.

Anyone else want to give this theory a shot? Or is there any rhyme or reason to this? Only thing I can think is that the CPU is calling for higher rpms bc the compressor is calling for more power from the alternator?

Old 08-16-2013, 03:51 PM

Possible. I have only had it happen once, which was right after i got the oil changed at walmart and it had sat for 4 days. I use to work for an OEM filter manufacturer in the R&D dept and, those Fram filters, though the beta efficiency's are decent, are crap filters. I swapped out the crappy filter for a pure one filter, which is the best filter you can buy, bar none. That comes from years of doing testing and validating, myself, on every manufactured automotive filter on the market in our R&D dept. Gota know what your competitors are putting out so you can beat it, and we spent a majority of our time testing to see. Anyway, Ive never had a problem since i swapped filters. My thought is that the drain back valve, if it even exists on the frams ( i dont remember) was letting oil seep back into the pan so it takes longer to get oil up to the drive train, hence the clatter. Additionally, since the filter swap have left my endeavor sitting for 2 weeks at a time and still never experienced it again.

Old 08-17-2013, 11:40 AM

Correction, not drive train, VALVE train