2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

building the gs-t need help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 04:12 AM
Default building the gs-t need help!

ok well, some of you may remember i blew the head gasket in my 98 eclipse gst at 200k miles.... and i finally am gonna have some money to fix it. so i was figuring i should do a light rebuild on the car and maybe beef it up a bit here is what i have planned so far... but would like suggestions. please keep cost in mind.... i want good but not the most expensive. i am looking to get a decent size turbo in the near future with supporting mods.... and i am looking for faster spool up and ability to throw wads of boost at it... so what sizings or ports or compression # should i be looking at. i will also get cams in the near future...thanks alot!!!

I AM LOOKING TO END UP EVENTUALLY BETWEEN 350-400 WHP maybe like 450 but thats pushin alot. how hard would it be to acheieve this? and would i have to heavily modify to upgrade to that kinda power.. i am mainly looking at internals right...

replace radiator with aluminum racing (got a hole in mine...)
new upgraded pistons (what compression??)
new rings and bearing and all that
with a full gasket set
and the upgraded head bolts and studs for the manifold
new timing belt
new water pump
new thermometer
whatever you do on a normal rebuild....

then i was gonna get the revised lifters to get rid of the ticking... but was wondering if i should upgrade anything else in the head or maybe the internals....or would this be good for the power i am trying to acheive....

Old 07-13-2007, 08:06 AM
Default RE: building the gs-t need help!

To get that kind of power will not be cheap. I'd suggest 300-350 as a start. That's where I'm at right now. It'll get your hands plenty dirty and give you a better idea of what you like and don't like.

I would start off with getting DSMlink.

Old 07-13-2007, 08:19 AM

hey bro, glad you got some $$ to fix ur problem. look at my sig and it will explain everything for you. basically keeping cost in mind is a very vague statement... does that mean under 1g? under 3g's? for a turbo setup pushing 450whp you are prolly looking at close to 5grand. you can run 350whp w/ a 16g but that's pushing it's limits or close to it. you can run a 16g setup for close to 1500 bucks. my suggestion would be to get the 16g first, and put it on the car. then from there just start pieceing the suporting mods together (parts and prices : injectors - 450, fmic kit - 300-900, bov - 100-300, boost gauge - 20-200, mbc - 10-200, walbro fuel pump - 100,fpr - 80-200, dsm link - 500'ish, tune - depends, wideband - 150-300) with a street tune you can prolly get about 300-320 out of it but to get the full 350-360 you will need to dyno tune it unles you are the $hit at street tunes.. you won't need to replace the internals on only 350whp but if you plan on pushing 400+ i woudl suggest forged internals in the bottom.

My opinion for ur list
replace radiator with aluminum racing (got a hole in mine...) not necessary but looks good, i'd just go OEM
new upgraded pistons (what compression??) not necessary, on a 16g i'd say 9.0:1, if you plan on running a larger turbo later down the road i'd go prolly 8.5:1. you will need rods to go with the pistons b/c they are the first to go, along w/ ur rods n pistons, you'll need new rod and main bearings.
new rings and bearing and all that rings usually come w/ the pistons and the bearings i'd go w/ Clevit
with a full gasket set if going all out i'd go cometic, youll never have a problem w/ it but it's about 100 bucks
and the upgraded head bolts and studs for the manifold definatly a good idea. go ARP atw
new timing belt OEM timing belt is just fine but if ur a name ***** or just like the look you can go Greddy or HKS kevlar
new water pump again OEM is just fine
new thermometer you mean thermostat? unles it's bad you don't need it. if you do get another one get a cooler temp one, this will keep engine heat down
whatever you do on a normal rebuild.... again for a 16g buld you won't need internals but if you want to rebuild it you can go w/ a number of name son the pistons, rods, bearings etc etc... check out www.slowboyracing.com, www.cimotorsports.net, www.extremepsi.com, www.ebay.com (make sure they are name brand).

Old 07-13-2007, 09:26 AM

that is good to know.. and fyi.. i already have a 16g on it... and some mods... i know kinda what i need to get to piece together my turbo kit and alllll of the other stuff. i just figured since i dont wanna have to rip my whole engine apart again any time soon as i juice it up. so i just wanna know what i will need to be around 400HP. so i wont need the aluminum radiator? cuz i need a radiator... and if it dont do muh then i will use the money elsewhere.

so i guess i will get

rods (would any decent aftermarket rod do fine?)
pistons (same with these for name brand...) and i will be getting a bigger turbo soon....
main and rod bearings rings,pins and clips...
i will look for the gasket set you stated and will go factory on the timing belt and stuff
i was also gonna say what the hell and get the balnce shaft eliminator kit.

oh.... btw.. i have enough money to get the stuff i mentioned.... but i will also be selling my motorcycle as soon as my car is back on the road which means more money.

just quick question... what hp could my car hold on stock internals?

Old 07-13-2007, 09:42 AM

between 400 and 450whp is the number that we all go by here. but i've seen 506 being held on stock internals. not long b/c the guy rebuilt the bottom end but he was running it for about 2 months or so.
RODS - eagle are cheapest and very good (up to about 800 hp i think) but you can also go skat, or crower
PISTONS - eagle and weisco are the most popular. i like weisco b/c they are cheaper and will still hold the power
BEARINGS - clevit is a great name and not to expensive
you don't need the aluminum radiator other than for looks, yes it works better but it's not a necessity.
if ur gonna be running 400hp the rebuild i would say is optional... i would call it a good idea for a copule reasons... 1 your car will be off the road for a good bit to be rebuilt if you throw a rod, 2, it will raise the value of the car, 3, you can customize th compresion of the car... also if you are going to be replacing or rebuilding the block, putting a 6 bolt is a possablity also. you could sell your stock 7 bolt, get a 6 bolt (TheEngineer has on for sale for 150 bucks i think) and eliminate the posability of crankwalk.
a turbo to run 400hp. check out a couple sites www.slowboyracing.com, www.forcedperformance.com, www.cimotorsports.net they all have good turbo's.

Old 07-13-2007, 09:45 AM
Banned

Ron......... word for word i was gna say aaaall that

Old 07-13-2007, 09:48 AM

what can i say? great (and resident *******) minds think alike lol be being the assistant ******* and all

Old 07-13-2007, 05:32 PM

i appreciate all the help with this.

so it is not necessary to rebuild it for the power i want... but it would make it more reliable...
well i found wiseco 8.3:1 and 9.0:1 pistons for 450$ new and eagle h-beam rods for 300$new.. sound like a good deal? or should i keep on looking? and what are the difference in gain between the two? would i gain any power or anything? i am just trying to think of what i would rather have... reliablity seems like the key. but if i stay under 400HP i should be okay.....i would think. cuz there are different upgrades i wold like to do besides the internals... i am just trying to invest my money smart rather then going for juice and not thinking about the consequences..

and i would go for the six bolt if i trusted myself enough to build it and then do the swap... but i dont trust myself on the swapping it part... and i wanna be on the road in like a month...so... that idea is down the drain.. lol..

Old 07-16-2007, 09:12 AM

for 400whp you don't need to rebuild it. unles you already have some kind of damage or heavy heavy beater car ware on the car you will be fine. if you really want to rebuild it it's obviously not going to hurt lol for a 400hp car i'd probaby go w the 9.0 compression. this will give you better bottom end power to get your spool time down but you won't be pushing as much boost as yo would w/ 8.3. here's the breakdown on a turbo'd car there are 2 power's to concider. compression and boost. compression is the power that you are pushing basically before you spool. when you are in a low rpm you are basically all motor until you get enough power to spool your turbo. so a higher compression will give you more bottom end power to spool ur turbo quicker. BOOST power is obviously coming from the turbo. on a high compression turbo'd car (9.0 i concider as high as anybod should go) you wouldn't run as much boost b/c you already have the power form the high compression pistons and you don't wanna put to much power in there or you'll break stuff. but for example if you had 7.5 compressio pistons it's gonna take longer to spool but when you do you can run a lot more boost b/c yo don't have as much power in the chamber as you would w/ 9.0. boosted power gives you more power than a higher compression does but it depends on what you are building the car for. (it makes since to me but after rereading it may be a lil confusing, if so let me kow an i'll try to break it down better)

Old 07-16-2007, 09:38 AM

okay i totally understand... its funny.. cuz thats is how i always explain it to my friends and i cant remember it for myself.. lol... what is the stock compression?

and i am thinking to maybe skip the rebuild for now.. since it is really not that hard to take it all apart.. . when i wanna so the heads and internals... or if it breaks...

i just looked at my old headers and o2 housing after i took em off, and they are both cracked pretty bad... darn it... i wanted to replace em anyways... lol... now i need to figure out what i wanna get for headers, turbo, and o2/dump pipe... i am gonna do the internals later... unless i tear it apart.. and they need to be done..

Quick Reply: building the gs-t need help!