2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

burning oil smell - please help

Old 01-10-2009, 09:03 PM
Default burning oil smell - please help

i am new to this forum and the search engine is not working with me right now. I tried searching for this issue to see if anyone else had the same thing going on.

here goes i bought a 1998 eclipse gs with 96k on it and was told and promised the car had no oil leaks, carfax came back clean as well. i know carfax sucks most of the time. anyway shortly after purchasing the car i started to notice white smoke coming from the exhaust most common issue a head gasket leak after taking to to several shops and one dye test later i pretty much had to have every gasket in the damn engine replaced. we i got the car back today and i still smell burning oil. could this just be oil that needs to be burned off or do i have an even larger issue at hand? after is was all said and done i probably should of just bought a new motor. anyone have any ideas??

So far the list of parts replaced goes as follows:
Rear main seal
Head gasket
Exhaust manifold gasket
Intake manifold gasket
Valve cover gasket
Oil pressure switch
Oil pan gasket

And the car still smells like it’s burning oil?!?! I have no answer at this point.

Old 01-10-2009, 11:55 PM
Default RE: burning oil smell - please help

did you have your rings checked?

Old 01-12-2009, 09:56 AM

rings?

Old 01-12-2009, 10:00 AM
Super Moderator

its probably just oil burning off from the work that was done. Id give it a few days and just keep and eye on the oil level. If you start to lose oil then look into it more. Has the smoke stoppedcomming from exhaust?

Old 01-12-2009, 10:26 AM

If it's your rings, then you should still see a significant amount of smoke coming out of the exhaust. My rings are going and I can see smoke after about 5 minutes of running the car. A quick and easy way to see if that is the problem is to do a dry and wet compression test. If you need help doing that, PM me.

Old 01-12-2009, 06:40 PM

I will have to watch for smoke, i had a lot of white smoke previously but was told that was because of the head gasket. i'll take a closer look tomorrw? what do you suggest, let it run for 5-10 minutes? now this may be a dumb question but when i head to work in the morning it's in the 30's and when i get off it's around the same temp. any easy solution on how to check this?

Old 01-12-2009, 06:42 PM

is there an easy way to tell the difference? I start the car in the cold and there is all kinda of exhaust, i'll let it run when i get to work and keep an eye on the exhaust for a few min.

Old 01-13-2009, 12:25 AM

The smoke could be caused from a variety of reasons, the blown head gasket being one of them. Do a dry and wet compression test and post the results. That will verify or rule out your rings going bad.

Old 01-14-2009, 03:52 PM

i have no smoke coming from the exhaust

Old 01-24-2009, 07:30 PM

found out what most of the issue is, the oil leak on my car was so bad that the bottom of my car is covered in oil, most of the exhaust piping and everything. i was informed that it takes a good amount of time for oil to burn off of the piping. replaced the cat with a high flow cat yesterday. it was setting of my check engine light. car feels alot better now.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: burning oil smell - please help