2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Buying A Eclipse (97-99), What To Look For?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2004, 11:19 AM
Default Buying A Eclipse (97-99), What To Look For?

Sup Fella's,

I just registered, Im looking to buy a 97-99 Eclipse Spyder (gs or gs-t). Being that you all are owners, can you give me some feedback on what to look for when purchasing an Eclipse? Does the eclipse suffer from anything in particular? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Old 12-22-2004, 05:18 PM
Default RE: Buying A Eclipse (97-99), What To Look For?

Ask if the recall has been performed. Other than that I would get a compression test done.

The rest is jus typical stuff to ask about

Maintanance Done?
Belts?
Fluids?
Overall feel of the car reponse wise?
Wrecks?

Old 12-22-2004, 06:00 PM

What do you mean by, "ask if a recall has been performed"? Whats a compression test? Where can I get it done and home much does it cost?

When should the timing belts be changed?

Thanks

Old 12-22-2004, 07:37 PM

Best thing you can do is to look it over real good, look for body damage, get a carfax report on the VIN, take it for a test drive, ask when the last tune-up was (oil change, new plugs, etc.). As for suffering, well, seems like 90% of the ppl in CO buy the 4 cylinder engine vs the 3L V-6. I think the $14k I'm spending on my ride is more than worth it.

Old 12-23-2004, 01:07 AM

For the 4g63 there was a recall on the ball joints, atleast for my GSX there was I'm not sure about a gs-t, but you can check online for the recalls on the cars you are looking for.

Old 12-24-2004, 09:44 AM

For everone that drives a GS or RS the CPS "CAMSHAFT POSITIONING SENSOR" HAD A RECALL AS WELL AT LEAST ON 95-96 NOT SURE ABOUT THE REST.

Old 12-24-2004, 12:08 PM

the ball joint recall goes for all 95-99 eclipses

Old 12-25-2004, 01:00 AM

There was also a transfer case recall on the AWD models.

A compression is what is done to see the current condition of the engine. Poor compression means a rebuild is in order. You dont want to pay full price on a bad engine.

It can be done by any skilled enough to use a tester. Since you asked the question, I would suggest a friend that works on cars that knows what is going on, or even ask them to get it done for you. Most guys do it anyway when they are going to sell the car.

What car are you looking for?
4G63T (Turbo Models) or 420a(N/A motor)

There are different things for both.

To check for body damage, I believe that Mitsu put red on the tops of the nuts and screws to signify originality. I am not positive, but I have seen this same red paint on almost ALL the 97-99 Turbo models I have worked on or with.

Old 02-24-2008, 06:13 PM

For everone that drives a GS or RS the CPS "CAMSHAFT POSITIONING SENSOR" HAD A RECALL AS WELL AT LEAST ON 95-96 NOT SURE ABOUT THE REST.

ANDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

There was also a transfer case recall on the AWD models.

A compression is what is done to see the current condition of the engine. Poor compression means a rebuild is in order. You dont want to pay full price on a bad engine.

It can be done by any skilled enough to use a tester. Since you asked the question, I would suggest a friend that works on cars that knows what is going on, or even ask them to get it done for you. Most guys do it anyway when they are going to sell the car.

What car are you looking for?
4G63T (Turbo Models) or 420a(N/A motor)

There are different things for both.

To check for body damage, I believe that Mitsu put red on the tops of the nuts and screws to signify originality. I am not positive, but I have seen this same red paint on almost ALL the 97-99 Turbo models I have worked on or with.

HOPE I HELPED UU!!!!!!

Old 02-24-2008, 09:34 PM

If it's a Spyder, make sure the top doesn't leak...$1200-$1500 for a new one..check mileage, fire it up and listen for noises like ticking, clunks, clanks, smacks, etc...If you plan on modding and wanting some power then get a GS-T or GS-X...but why a Spyder??? The coupe is lighter and you won't have a leaky top to contend with like I did.

Quick Reply: Buying A Eclipse (97-99), What To Look For?