2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Cam Questions and Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2006, 01:34 AM
Default Cam Questions and Turbo

Im thinking of going in one of 2 directions with my 420a...

1. New Cams, Cam Gears, Pulleys and Flywheel

OR

2. Turbo

Whats would be the price on both with instalation, and the outcome in HP increase...

Old 03-15-2006, 04:43 AM
Default RE: Cam Questions and Turbo

from what ive heard from slow420a, if you put on a turbo, it cant be a very powerful one with stock internals in the 420a, because they cant handle much more power.
[sm=badidea.gif]

Ive asked about cams and stuff like that too. If your car is stock, youre not really ready for performance cams...
[sm=icon_blah.gif]

Someone will probably give you a more detailed answer, but since nobody is replying i thought i would give you something to think about...
[sm=happy046.gif]

Old 03-15-2006, 10:10 AM
Super Moderator

You would definetly want to get the turbo kit first, it would be worthless to buy "supporting mods" when they have nothing to support. You really wont get any power gain from building up the head. Go with the turbo.

Old 03-15-2006, 10:28 AM

well...

Cam kit from howellautomotive.com 1g, flywheel 400, pully 70 bucks... You also need injectors and a piggy back to control the injectors. Safc 300, 24lb injectors 60 bucks(ebay).
For the install the avrage mechanic is paid somewhere between 50-100 dollars an hour depending on what they specialize in and where they are located. What needs to be done is have the cylander head disyembled, timming belt off and the tranny droped... asume about 6-700 bucks for install.

1g+400+70+300+60+700= that brings it to about 2430.00 that dosent include tax, shipping, and problems your going to run into while doing the install.

That should make you run a low 16 in the 1/4 mile, if you got some supporting mods, cai, full exaust, 60mm tb, you could see high/mid 15's if you have some sticky tires.

A stage one turbo kit from howell costs 2g, and install time is roughly going to cost 300-600 depending on the mechanic that you get to do it(it really isant too hard and many people do it them selves with out an issue).

2g+700= 2600 bucks. But your 1/4 mile time will be a low 15, and other mods like a full exaust, 60mm tb, and a udp with put you into high 14's. And if you ever wanted to upgrade to a stage 2 kit its an extra 800 shells that would put you in low 14's.

The only problem with a turbo is that the raised coompression on a car that has over 100k on it is terribl for the motor. The 420a's power limit with stock internals is 10psi, running 8psi on worn internals things start to wear out quickly. The best thing to do is a compression check first and see what kind of condition your motor is in, if its 180psi across the board then feel free to boost it. On a stage on kit (5psi) the motor will last for a long time, on a stage 2 kit(8psi) the motor will eventually blow up and you will have to do a rebuild. If this is your daily drive please reconside the situation in its entirety. If this car ****s the bed how are you going to get to work, could you aford a rebuild? Going N/a in this case is cheaper but it has alot of limitations and the money can work alot better in other places. This is what I have picked up from my experance from working on cars. If you want more info on this subject check out 2g nt.com(remove the space between 2g and nt for the site to work). Its a large comunity of 420a eclipse owners and they have archives full of discussion like this.

Old 03-15-2006, 12:05 PM

Yea this is my everyday car, and I'm young so I can't afford the rebuild...so no turbo risk. But I want this car to be roun like 200 hp, so I can atleast run some cars...what should I look into?

I plan on gettin pulleys very soon

I have full cat and cai

Old 03-15-2006, 12:16 PM

I think for u 2 reach 200hp is only by turbo...not sure, or maybe juss upgrading internals...but like U said U dont have money for a rebuild which is practically wat ur gonna do if u upgrade internals.

maybe if u tune it up u can squeeze out a lil more hp wit exhuast n cai. also lighter rims can get u a lil better acceleration so u get up n go quicker.

Old 03-15-2006, 12:45 PM

Well idk what the stovk hp of a 420a is...neone know, wit a cat and intake?

Don't they make actualy chips that don't kill ur car and add a lot?

Supercharger?

Old 03-15-2006, 12:58 PM

stock 420a has bout 140hp, wit cai n exhasut ur lookin at around maybe 155-60ish...cai n exhuast dont add alot but it works tho lol.

Old 03-15-2006, 03:18 PM

I thought cat back added more then that..wow

Old 03-15-2006, 03:23 PM

U'll have to dyno the car 2 see exactly how much U gained....I kno that cai n exhaust will give u sum but not a whole lot.

Quick Reply: Cam Questions and Turbo