2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Cam Questions and Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2006, 09:01 PM
Default RE: Cam Questions and Turbo

ORIGINAL: willdue

Don't they make actualy chips that don't kill ur car and add a lot?

Supercharger?

Howellautomotive is the only company that makes chips for the 420a eclipse, its for 97 gs/rs only because the ecu pinouts are different for every year, you could modify it too work but the tune is for a cam setup and you would have to rewire the whole car/motor.

A guy in flordia was making supercharger its for 420a's for a bit, Kight kits I think they are called. Other then that any work will have to be custom, also your still forcing air into the motor, if you want to charge it might as well turbo it, it will be cheaper.

just for fun here are some s/c kits for the 420a that i have seen.

Their is no way possible to get a 420a up to 200hp with out using spray or a rebuild/drag cam. The stage two kit from hahn only makes 195 or so... Just to give you an idea with a intake, 60mmtb, hedder, cayt back exaust and some good driving I was able to run a 16.2 in the 1/4.

Old 03-16-2006, 12:43 AM

Well then it looks like Im gunna have to start studyin and savin, althought Ive though of saven for a wide body kit, and possibly gettin sponsored by this local shop and gettin parts...

Old 03-16-2006, 08:45 AM

ORIGINAL: Dyno_Man

stock 420a has bout 140hp, wit cai n exhasut ur lookin at around maybe 155-60ish...cai n exhuast dont add alot but it works tho lol.
Not true here...stock HP is 140 at the crank which translates to about 110 at the wheels. Sooo with his mods he has like 120ish wheelHP and to acheive 200 that wont be done on a small budget either.

Old 03-16-2006, 11:09 AM

ORIGINAL: willdue

Well then it looks like Im gunna have to start studyin and savin, althought Ive though of saven for a wide body kit, and possibly gettin sponsored by this local shop and gettin parts...
Be carefully, when you get sponsered you really dont own your car, in the contract they can remove their parts at any time... so if they give you a built motor and you step on their sneakers and they get pissed they can legaly take your motor.

Old 03-16-2006, 02:04 PM

i agree with everything that has been said, i own a 420a in my 99 Eclipse GS. and NO there is NO way to make ur 420a 200+ hp on a small budget. What im doing is saving this entire year for a company in Florida to make me a pre-build race engine that will be 600+HP stable, i will just need to find a turbo large enough (HAHN Super Turbo) to power it up. but if you are on a limited budget... this wouldn't work for you, the engine alone will cost me apx 5900 + HAHN Turbo kit + whatever help i need installing it... but good luck.

Old 03-16-2006, 06:27 PM

Well....I though it out today....

Im gunna leave my car exactly the way it is...And start saving for a new motor....Dont know what kinda motor, but maybe yous can help me out with that...and what I need to buy in order to have a new motor stuffed in...Hell maybe a TSI motor would fit?

My income is bout 900 a month, and I spend 400 on payments, and like 150 on gas...So I figure I could save bout 250-300 a month and that aint much, but Ill start saving... What motors is it possible to stuff ina 420a? I dont need a turbo, just maybe a non-turbo motor that is puttin out around 300 and can have some work done to it? Any ideas? And any ideas on making money?? lol

Old 03-16-2006, 06:38 PM

But wait...Wouldt it still be cheaper for me to build my motor to be able to hold a small turbo? Cause my car has only 75000 Miles, so I would assume a small turbo wont hurt it if i did modifying for it to hold it?

YOUS NEED TO HELP LOL

iDK which way I should go...

Old 03-16-2006, 07:14 PM

their is only one "swap" that the 420a elcipse will take, and thats the 2.4 liter chrysler motor(I forget the motor code) but its found in some neons and pt cursers. You need to get a custom downpipe made, a custom oil pan, a cow hood because the motor sits 1 1/4 inches higher, and rewire the whole car for the ecu. But It wont make 300hp n/a. Your best bet is getting a basic rebuild and then a stage 2 turbo kit. With a better bov, and a mbc you could get 320hp out of that(no tune). With a dyno tune it can bet alot faster but you would also need to buy a ignition system for that.

A basic rebuild would include j.e. pistons, eagle rods, clevit bearings(upper and lower) and a new head gasket. Howellautomotive and conceptillusions.com sells the kits for around 1g.

A turbo kit from hahn will run about 3g(if you make your own its cheaper and better)

You will also need the block asyembled and machined, ron already got quotes for this stuff so he would be able to tell you roughly how much that would run.

But thats going to be your best bang for the buck with the 420a. Built motor and a stage two kit with some toys added on it.

Old 03-16-2006, 07:19 PM

the best thing for ya to do is save about 1200-1500 and tha rebuild the stock motor so it can handle the boost than look into getting the turbo.

Old 03-16-2006, 07:22 PM

Yea...but Im young and only make 800-900 a month just got this car...400 in payments a month, so I guess ima just go for looks and run the car until Im 21 and trade it for a evo...THAT seems like my best bet lol. Sucks I cant trade this car in after a year...Oh well, still an awsome lookin car

Quick Reply: Cam Questions and Turbo