2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Can a different Muffler = HP?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2004, 02:17 PM
Default Can a different Muffler = HP?

If I just have the money to replace a muffler instead of a whole blow-out exhaust, can I get a HP increase just from thaT? If so, would it have to be a really loud and obnoxious one? I personally like a deeper tone in the exhaust versus a high puttering raspy sound. Atleast then, i can drive it quiety, but I can get some noise out of it when i want. I have a 97 eclipse GS if that makes a difference. Can anyone recomend a good one?

Old 12-04-2004, 04:24 PM
Default RE: Can a different Muffler = HP?

You can gain hp with a muffler only, but it's only gonna be like 1-2hp. Usually for a stock system, a Dynomax muffler is pretty good. Magnaflow also makes a decent muffler for stock systems. It won't sound nearly as good full exhaust system, but it won't sound as bad as a honda lawn mower. Those are my two recommendations, what do you guys say?

Old 12-04-2004, 04:37 PM

if your lookin for hp your best bet would be just to wait and do it all at the same time. because your really not going to get what your lookin for with just the muffler, the exhaust will still be choked by the stock pipping.magnaflow is a good mufflern, i like the apexi n1. as for the sound non turbo cars have a higher pitch then turbo cars.

Old 12-04-2004, 07:13 PM

A muffler WILL NOT increase HP. A muffler dose what the name implies, muffles the sound. The only way I really could ever see a muffler increasing HP would be if you went from something crazy small to crazy big, then you might see a very small gain.

Ohh and for you turbo guys if you want to reduce back pressure, punch a whole bunch of holes in your muffler with a screw driver.

Old 12-04-2004, 08:17 PM

well let me help you out then, the way that a muffler increases hp is that it has better exhaust flow. stock muflers are not ment to flow a whole lot of exhaust threw them,the air has alot of restrictions to travel around and past. the upgraded exhaust are pretty much stright threw so the exhaust can flow right threw better flow = hp. us turbo guys just buy bigger exhaust rather then punching holes in mufflers.

Old 12-04-2004, 08:25 PM

A muffler WILL NOT increase HP
ok if you go from a normal stock mufler to an aftermarket mufler you WILL GET A HP GAIN. reason stock muflers have a poor design and allow less flow to where a aftermarket muffler will allow more flow if you go with the straght muffler you will get more flow than a standard S shaped muffler and as we all know more flow = more power evan if it is just a little amount of hp it dose go up.

Old 12-04-2004, 08:59 PM

Thanks a lot for your help, I really appriciate it. I will try one of the aftermarket mufflers, then maybe next paycheck, I'll see about workin towards an exhaust so I get less-restricted airflow. Thanks again!

Old 12-05-2004, 12:28 AM

I was kiding about the screw driver thing, a kid in our school did that because he thought it would lower the back pressure of his car. I have lots of kids like this in my school that think FF and 2F2F are actually accurate about cars and the street racing scence.

Old 12-05-2004, 03:43 AM

I figured you were kidding about that part but you are def wrong about a muffler not helping. Magnaflow and dynomax are very good brands and make good quality products. If I'm not mistaken they are both straight through designs and simply have holes and dimples inside that does the work instead of funneling the exhuast through all kinds of junk like stock type mufflers do.

Old 12-05-2004, 02:53 PM

Alright my bad, sorry about disagreeing I just didn't think a muffler would give any kind of a noticeable gain.

Quick Reply: Can a different Muffler = HP?