2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

which car is better?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2005, 10:44 PM
Default which car is better?

hi i want your opinion on which car is the better deal. i just recently was offerered two choices for purchaing a new(used) car. i had a choice of purchasing the rare 1999 3000gt vr-4 (6 speed) for under $10k stock with about 50k miles on it. the other option was a black 1998 eclipse GS-t with a rebuilt engine (5 speed) less then 10k miles and the car has the basic stage 2 upgrade, about 300 horses of power equiped with guages, audio, rims, etc, all for under $9k.i found this to be a hard choice i mean although how rare the 3000 gt and more powerful it is, it is much harder to maintain simple jobs than the eclipse (tune up, timing belt, axel, brakes, oil change etc, etc.). good point for the 3000 gt is that it rare and powerfeul and at such a low price espcially it hasnt been touched (moddified). on the other hand the eclipse has low miles on it due to the rebuilt motor and almost as much horses as the 3000gt, bad side is it has been moddified... Can you guys please give me an opinion or the choice of car i should purchase. i look up to you guys for helping make the right choice....because i have no one else to turn to..err at least no one with the knowlegde of mitsubishi cars.[sm=dontgetit.gif][sm=smiley13.gif][sm=smiley20.gif][sm=youreright.gif]

Old 03-03-2005, 02:29 PM
Default RE: which car is better?

one of the best things to remember is that the gst is modded and the 3kgt hasnt, you can do what you want with the 3kgt but your limited on the gst cause it has been modded already, also you would probly want to replace the timing belt on the 3kgt soon, but with the money you might save on the 3kgt you can put into the car, on the eclipse though you wouldnt really have to worry about moddin it for a while, allowing you to save some $ up before doin anything and still have a very nice car to work with, so it really comes down to what type of car you really want................

Old 03-04-2005, 02:53 AM

3000gt's are heavy....they rarely hit low 12's even heavily modified.....plus upgrades are quite expensive.....depends how deep your pockets are

Old 03-04-2005, 04:29 AM

I was about in same situation as you are. A VR-4 or an Eclipse. Make sure to check maintenance records on each one and inspect it thoroughly. I would say to go with the eclipse since it has mods already and you can upgrade and sell those parts off also but make sure that driver hasn't just neglected it after a while and maybe damaged it and decided to get rid of it fast before the problem cost's him and he can pawn it off on someone else being you. Thats just a what if scenario to account for bro. VR-4 is heavy as hell with its AWD and being a large car in the firstplace and maintenance is gonna suck a fat one. It wont be as easy to do it as it would on the eclipse and parts are expensive too. But its a great car dont get me wrong, one of my favorites but it was gonna cost me too much to get it where i wanted it, and the eclipse would be reasonable.
Ball is in your court bro.

Old 03-04-2005, 10:16 PM

Wow thanks alot for all the information. haha i never new 3000gt vr-4 are heavy since its a coupe...... i check with both cars and they are fine and not been messed with. the owner even lets me try the cars out for 3-5 day for inspection. i assume that is safe. i recently got some specs on the car the 3000gt is stock...320 hp while the gs-t modded has about 400 hp meaning it stage 2 not 1.5 =). i always loved eclipses but the oppurnity to get a 3000gt at that model at such a low cost is very rare almost seldom. would it be possible to buy the 3000gt and resell it to gain the profits to buy the eclipse in which i end up eventaully geting a free car? i mean are the people out there in search of a 3000gt less than or under $20k (kbb pricing).

Old 03-05-2005, 02:19 AM

Thats an awesome Idea, take the 3000GT and turn it over for 20k and then buy the eclipse. I wanna see pics.

Old 03-05-2005, 02:47 AM

You'll always find somebody to buy a car for any price; 3000GT is cheap for a '98 with under 60k miles...But they are really heavy, i have a '92 stealth t/t same thing, weighs 4512 l.b's... I'd say buy the 3kGT though, cuz hen at least u know somebody hasnt been beating on it as much, and you can always sell it for more the 10k.

Old 03-08-2005, 04:37 PM

I have a stealth, they are awesome and rare, however i also like eclipses, The 3000gt weighs alot more than the eclipse and they break entirly to often, i have put about 6 thousand dollars into my car just to get it to run properly, i do have a few things done to it but i have not got the chance to hook it up. It really depends on how deep your pockets are because the 3g is rare but the clipse is much cheaper to keep in good running condition. The ***** in your court , good luck and have fun with whatever you buy.

Old 03-08-2005, 08:15 PM

yeh, but your gay stealthR/T

Old 03-08-2005, 08:42 PM

Vr-4's aren't as fast as most people think they are but it depends on how much money and if you want to mod your car and make it faster.

Quick Reply: which car is better?