2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Car stereo installation problem. Please help.

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2006, 10:10 PM
Default Car stereo installation problem. Please help.

Hi,

After spending an hour and a half removing side panels, center console and what not, after probably 20-25 screws around all the dashboard I finally managed to take out my stock stereo (CD player + tape) from my Eclipse 99 GS. I bought a Pioneer AVIC D2 and I am trying to hook it up but I don't wanna mess up so I am trying to figure out some things:

1. On my stock stereo there is no black wire not was there any wire connected to the chassis which I expected as a ground. I have 2 ground wires coming with the D2, one is black and one is because I need to ground it to make the navigation work while driving. I was wondering whether I should attach them to a metal part of the chassis or somewhere else to ground them?

2. I have been looking all day for a proper wiring colors diagram for the stock stereo but I could not find one. Here is what I see but I am not sure which is for what:

Wires:

Red
Red-yellow
Red-gray

Blue – fat wire
Blue-yellow
Blue-gray

White-red
White-blue

Black-blue
Black-red

White-black
White-green

Does anyone knows a place where I can get info about these wires - which are for speakers, which are for ACC, batter, ground etc.

My last question is connected with "harness adapter", while reading the threads in the forum about the stereo installations everyone recommends a harness adapter so I do not mess up the wiring. Where could I find one and how would that help me - do it mean that I won't need to cut any wires for the current wiring harness and just attach the new one to it or something else?

I will greatly appreciate your help.

Thank you,

Svetlin

Old 07-16-2006, 04:01 PM
Default RE: Car stereo installation problem. Please help.

go to a local audio store and they should have it. just ask for a wiring harness for your car. and then it will be all up to connecting the colors. red-red, green-green and so on and so on.