Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

2011 Outlander Sport car stereo help please!

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 06:51 AM
Default 2011 Outlander Sport car stereo help please!

Hey Guys!

I plan on putting a new head unit, new speakers and an amp in my Mitsubishi Outlander Sport. It has six speakers (the base stereo, not the Rockford Fosgate Upgrade). What I need to know is, what size speakers do I need? This is my first time working with car audio and although Im techie, Im having some trouble with this one. I would like to use all focal speakers and amp. I will be getting a pioneer head unit. Should I buy a component system and replace the tweeters and front speakers and just keep the stock back speakers or replace all six? Next question: What kind of amp do I need? How many channels etc? Again, I am a newbie! And of course, another question: Where can I find a car radio dash kit for the outlander sport?

Please! I am so exited to get this going, but cant make any moves until I figure all this out. Thanks guys!!!

Old 07-23-2011, 03:21 PM

You definitely need this and this.

Only joking, but you are going to have to give more info - What is your budget and what country do you live in?

Depending on how much you want to spend, a fairly simple and effective set up would be:
Set of components in the front (components ALWAYS better than coaxials)
Subwoofer
4-channel amp - 2 channels to drive your front components and bridge the other 2 channels to drive the sub.

Remember to keep enough money aside for amp wiring kit and speaker wire. You will need to make some rings out of MDF to mount your speakers (I can send photos if you want more info).

You can drive the rear standard speakers from the head unit.

This is only one option and it really all depends on how much you want to spend. You could of course change the rear speakers too, but then you will need more amp channels, or maybe 2 amps.

A useful web site is www.talkaudio.co.uk as they have a great forum. However, make sure you tell them what your budget is and what sort of music you like listening to if you want a helpful response on there.

Sorry, not sure of the speaker sizes - if you do a search, someone may have answered that before. Or just take the door panels off and measure.

Ben

Last edited by benshepherd; 07-23-2011 at 03:24 PM.
Old 07-24-2011, 05:36 AM
Default Thanks!

Ha! I'm going to put that stuff in the new Ferrari. For the Mitsubishi Outlander Sport, I got hooked up with a Focal FPS 2160 2 Channel Amp. The Component Systems Im looking at are the Focal 130VRS or the Polk Audio Signature Reference SR5250. Have any suggestions between the two? What do ya think? I also have a Basslink Infiniti 200 Watt Duel Powered for the low end. My plan is to grab another amp and set of back speakers if I feel the need down the line. Do you think it matters if I don't change out my head unit?

Thanks!

Old 07-25-2011, 09:40 PM

wow, you are certainly going for some top end component speakers! I think you probably need to go on one of the audio forums for advice re. your choice (see www.talkaudio.co.uk). Personally, it seems a very odd mixture - you have a great amp and are looking at hooking it up to excellent components. However, pairing that up with an active sub (as good as the basslink may be) is probably not going to be the best choice. Your components are too good for that. Also, to even consider running those components off a mitsubishi headunit would be disastrous - again they are far too good for that. Also, you want RCA outputs from a headunit for good sound quality, and I don't think the oem one does that.
I think you need to look at a more reasonably priced set of components and use the money you save elsewhere in the system (especially the head unit).
Just my thoughts and please seek other opinions too. Just don't go rushing into buying those speakers as you current plans are never going to release their full potential. Sorry I can't be more helpful!
Ben

Last edited by benshepherd; 07-25-2011 at 09:48 PM.
Old 07-25-2011, 11:23 PM

Sounds nice.

I am just upgrading my standard system to the 6 CD Rockford. Got the head unit for about $200. (From a new car that upgraded). I haven't been able to track down the rear panel and sub for the back yet. (I know the dealer will charge a tun for it). I'm sure there is a factory amp for the thing somewhere as well I need to find. If anyone has any suggestions let me know.

Also, I wonder how much the special charging (regen braking and smart alternator) system on this car will come into play with higher power audio equipment. Probably won't matter but just a thought.

Old 07-26-2011, 06:29 AM

I would get a system that doesn't involve changing your head unit. That way your steering wheel controls and Bluetooth system will still function.

Old 07-27-2011, 06:48 AM

Ben- You are not the first person to question my basslink plan, and I am definitely starting to question it myself. Here's the thing, I'm decided for quite a few reasons the head unit is staying stock for the time being, as unfortunate as that is. I have the amp and component speakers (focal 165 vrs) going in next week and I was going to have them put the basslink in at the same time. I like it because it takes up such a small amount of space. What do you think I should go with woofer wise? I was thinking powered to save space but I guess it doesnt have to be. I just dont want to spend a fortune! Suggestions?

Old 07-27-2011, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by bender031177
I would get a system that doesn't involve changing your head unit. That way your steering wheel controls and Bluetooth system will still function.
That totally depends on whether you are going for good sound quality or just retaining the current function and looks. If you want the latter, stick with the oem head unit. If you are truly interested in good quality performance and sound from the system, you are going to have to change the head unit. There are plenty of good quality aftermarket bluetooth systems that are reasonably priced.

Old 07-27-2011, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by bobbydaddis
Ben- You are not the first person to question my basslink plan, and I am definitely starting to question it myself. Here's the thing, I'm decided for quite a few reasons the head unit is staying stock for the time being, as unfortunate as that is. I have the amp and component speakers (focal 165 vrs) going in next week and I was going to have them put the basslink in at the same time. I like it because it takes up such a small amount of space. What do you think I should go with woofer wise? I was thinking powered to save space but I guess it doesnt have to be. I just dont want to spend a fortune! Suggestions?
Active subs are great as an easy way of adding a bit of extra bass. They are compact and relatively easy to install as the amp is built in. Most people will also be more than happy with the performance, so it really is a personal choice. I was just a little confused as you are mixing really top end (and expensive) component speakers with an oem head unit and an active sub. When I last did my last audio installation, I found the best performance without spending an extortionate amount of money was with a decent amp and headunit coupled with good quality components up front and a ten inch sub. I subsequently changed the rear speakers too, but this added only minimal improvement.
If you already have the amp and components and they are being installed next week, then get them to install the basslink too as you already have the equipment and you can decide whether you are happy with the sound (it will definitely be a great improvement over standard). They will need to run a power cable from the battery, ground, audio cables (RCA cables from head unit - does the oem head unit have RCA outputs??), and a remote wire from the head unit (turns the amp on and off when the head unit is turned on/off). However, I would ensure that they install a thick enough power cable so that if you do decide to remove the basslink in the future and install a separate amp, you don't need to go to the effort of installing a thicker power cable. If you decide to upgrade from the basslink in the future, you can just take it out and use the existing wires for a new amp and would only need to run speaker wire between the amp and sub.
If you are concerned with saving space, there are shallow mount subs available.