2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

car wont start

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 10:10 PM
Default car wont start

well me and hatchetman9449 have made a post about my car not starting. and my grandpa took it to the shop on friday and they called today saying that there is no compression in the engine if i remember right and something about it going around a ring.

well they are cleaning it out the try again and i am told that if that dont work i am ****ed. so is there not a way to fix the no compression?

Old 01-23-2007, 10:12 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: car wont start

There's always a way to fix it. Just a matter of if you can afford the methods available. If it IS blowby on the rings then you're looking at a full rebuild from the ground up. If it's blowby from the valves then you're looking at a head job which will run a good $400-600

Old 01-23-2007, 10:21 PM

what causes these problems to happen?

Old 01-23-2007, 10:27 PM
Super Moderator

Well there's not getting regular maintenance done, running the car low on oil, beating the car hard (Racing and whatnot), running high RPMs for extended periods of time and I'm sure I'm forgetting a few things but those are good places to start.

Old 01-23-2007, 10:34 PM

damn we were running it low on oil but we didnt find out til it died on us and i dont know why it was low because we havent even drove it that much and the leak was fixed.

Old 01-23-2007, 10:50 PM

HAHA, i told him that too. we were driving and i asked if he checked the oil lately and hes like no. (this is after it died) then i check it and its low as F*CK. HAHA then jeremy is like well what will it do when its low on oil and we drive it? and i was like, dont even think about it, your looking at ****ing everything up. so jeremy, my offer stands, $600.... HAHA, or we could fix it.... but i aint even helpin if your grampa wants to do it too.

Old 01-23-2007, 10:57 PM

sanguinius, how much is a rebuild, and what exactly do we replace? pistons, rings, bearings, um idk what else besides like gaskets and ****, but what all are we looking at? and what is the price of that. if its the valves then what do we have to replace there? guessing valves, um... not sure, springs maybe idk, maybe the cam, im not sure what im looking at and how much work I AM looking at doing if i did this myself. or do you just not suggest me doing it? ive taken 3 years of auto class and have replace and rebuilt many parts like starters and ****. well let me know what you think since i will be the one doing everything if we do anything.

Old 01-23-2007, 10:57 PM

but the only time we drove it before that was when you were teaching me and that was after we filled it up.. and how do you plan on us fixin it? cuz the only way i want my grandpa to help is if he pays to get it fixed and i pay him back.

Old 01-24-2007, 10:30 AM

bottom end rebuild isn't that expensive or hard, if you go for stock parts - about 300 bucks i think... very simple procedure, drop the engine, disconnect the head, disconnect the crank and everythign drops right out. if it's the head... anywhere from 300-500, that is a lil more tricky, i've never done a head but i kno there are a lot more parts involved.

Old 01-24-2007, 08:41 PM
Super Moderator

Not necessarily. First you have to see what damage you did. Did you cook the rings or did you melt a hole in a piston? Now find out if your engine is anything like the G54B I have. I have to remove my head to pull the pistons as there is a lip at the bottom of the cylinder that prevents removing them by simply pulling the crank. Also you'll want to now examin every oiled part of the engine to see if there is other damage. I.E. Lifters, bearings, cams, crank. You'll want to replace the rings and if one has a hole replace all 4 pistons, take the crank in to be ground and polished and have bearings matched for it, head gasket (if you can't simply drop the pistons out as previously mentioned). You'll want to get a bottle brush and hone the cylinders now and replace probably every gasket available in the engine while you're in there (Better to be safe than sorry). Especially your front and rear oil main seals. Mostly due to the fact that they are at the front andd rear of the engine the rear being covered by the trans and a pain to do any other time. Also remember you'll need to pull the engine to do all this and since you'll have it out you MIGHT want to consider sending it off to a shop to ahve the block crack checked and determine if you'll need to bore the cylinders due to wear. (If you DO have to have the cylinders bored you'll DEFINATELY be replacing the pistons). I think that covers things pretty well there. Anyone have anything else I missed to add to this? Oh almost forgot. Replace your oil pump now too. You likely toasted or near toasted it running low on oil like that.

Quick Reply: car wont start