2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

charcoal can - discontinued item

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 09:32 PM
Default RE: charcoal can - discontinued item

I dunno what's wrong with mine, but all I know is my car stinks like gasoline. I brought it up in another post and ppl thought it most likely is the can.

Can it be fixed?

Old 05-24-2007, 10:05 PM

That's most likely coming from the gas tank iteself. Pull your lower seat cushion up and check the cover that divides the interior with the exterior/gas tank area, remove it, then check the gas tank "lid". The lid is where you would change out the fuel pump from or where you would do a fuel pump rewire from. For a preview, look in the VFAQs as the fuel pump rewire for a GS-T is in there and the rewire is in our FAQ section too for AWD...the plugs are the only thing different.
I don't even have my canister connected anymore with the vapor line still in the engine bay and I don't smell gas.
I hope you don't smoke?!!!
Anyway, the canister is under the battery. That's where all the EGR stuff is shoved. Oh yeah, it's also called an Fuel Vapor Canister..looks like a black coffee can...literally, it's huge. Part number for 7/95+ is MR258310, PNC is 05607

KD, looking at my old motor, there was a flanged metal tube that lead down from the back of the plenum. All that stuff is a part of the EGR system. I'm only guessing, as I've since forgotten things like this from the old motor (the 420a would be similar since spacing and orientation dictate placement). Anyway, look directly down from the back of your intake manifold on the passenger side. If it's not there, there's only four corners to look, lol. Sorry for the generic answer bro, I couldn't find it online anywhere.

Old 05-24-2007, 10:40 PM

KD, update...look up front and around the corner of the passenger headlight and fender area. You know, where your coolant overflow bottle is.

Old 05-24-2007, 11:27 PM

9 times out of 10, a vehicles CC is located to the rear of the gas tank.

Old 05-24-2007, 11:29 PM

hehe silver our saviour XD
And for the record, Silvers the man.
He needs the tech certified badge under his avatar.

Old 05-25-2007, 09:13 AM

Yea, I agree, Silver is the man!

Silver, I will check the tank, but the smell seems to come from the front of the car and is noticeable when I open the windows and drive. That's kinda why I tought it was the can.

Anyways, what should I be looking for when I check the tank?

Thanks Saviour! Lol

Old 05-25-2007, 11:43 AM

We got a part # for the 3G version of this Silver? Would this explain why my car smells like gas ever since the engine swap?

Old 05-25-2007, 12:09 PM

nyc - if you do end up needing one, check 2 places. www.mitsubishigraveyard.com , call the number on the screen and talk to Gary, he can find any mitsu part anywhere. Then call www.cimotorsports.net, call the number on the screen and ask for Shawn, tell him that Ron with the eclipse sent you and ask him for what you need. good luck.

and yes, kudos to Silver

Old 05-25-2007, 01:14 PM

Thanks RCJ I will look into that.

Silver, I checked the tank lid and under and all looks fine. I didn't disconnect the fule pump tho, but everything looks cool under there. So I am wondering could it be the tank or the can since the smell seems to be coming from the frontend.

Thanks all

Old 05-25-2007, 02:50 PM

Piece of advice, check you injector o-rings.
Injector o-rings go bad easily and gas can seep out, or even the fumes can

Quick Reply: charcoal can - discontinued item