2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

chassis bracing possibility?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 11:44 PM
Default chassis bracing possibility?

I have made up a set of chassis bracing for the 2nd gen eclipse and was wondering if there is much interest in such a product. If so I will get a set out to some lucky person for cheap cheap for testing purposes.
I will post pics tomorrow.
Thanks
Sean Truax

Truax Motorsports

Old 05-17-2007, 11:48 PM
Banned
Default RE: chassis bracing possibility?

Dont take this as if im being a dick... im just curious.

What kind of materials did you use? What kind of equipment was used in the manufacture... (IE - CNC, Laser cutter, Hydro cutter... maybe free hand?) What is the thickness? Also, what do they look like?

Old 05-18-2007, 12:02 AM

I dont take offense easy I use 1"x2" rectangular tubing for the main rails. 3/16"x 2.5" steel for mounting tabs and Cross bracing is made out of 1/2" square 16gauge tubing. I dont have access to cnc and all that good stuff right now. So I manually cut all the pieces and use a jig that I fabricated for the set and ensure fit. As far as the welds go Im AWS certafied and use Only miller welders. I will have installed pics tomorrow. Time was running kinda slow a couple of weeks ago when i did the original prototype, and I didnt get photos sorry.
Ps. I love your avatar!

Old 05-18-2007, 12:05 AM
Banned

So the bar is aluminum?

Thanks, everyone loves a honda joke

Old 05-18-2007, 12:30 AM

No it is steel. You cannot weld steel to aluminum so if I were to make aluminum ones they would have to be bolt on and many holes would need to be drilled on the car. AS well aluminum cost alot more to work with.
I appreciate questions and comments.

Old 05-18-2007, 12:49 AM

You know what would be a great idea for bracing? a 3 point front strut brace..kind of like the D3's..

The Evos have something similar, but better. A strut bar is useless without the 3rd connection. Can you do something similar?

Old 05-18-2007, 12:57 AM

yes I could easily do something like you have pictured and maybe even improve on it if theres an interest for them.

Old 05-18-2007, 01:02 AM

That would be me, lol.

Old 05-18-2007, 01:16 AM

Actually, I'm very certain that if you can make a 3 point strut bar, you'd have the attention of many DSM'ers and Avenger/Sebring'ers.
That 3 point bar was made from D3 designs and it's a great design with functionality in mind and if it used a solid 3rd mount it would be perfect. It uses metal loop hooks (don't know what those are called) that connect to the thinnest part of the firewall...you know, where the weather stripping snaps onto, the part that keeps water from coming in from the back of the hood? Very flimsy IMO. I'm not queezy about drilling holes into my firewall for the purpose of a solid mount for a strut bar.

Old 05-18-2007, 01:19 AM

As well im not above having to use a product such as a good quality rivet nut to attach things. I noticed too that the center straight piece could be made adjustable for the purpose of adding or relieving tension on the strut housing. Just an idea.
ORIGINAL: silvercoupe97

Actually, I'm very certain that if you can make a 3 point strut bar, you'd have the attention of many DSM'ers and Avenger/Sebring'ers.
That 3 point bar was made from D3 designs and it's a great design with functionality in mind and if it used a solid 3rd mount it would be perfect. It uses metal loop hooks (don't know what those are called) that connect to the thinnest part of the firewall...you know, where the weather stripping snaps onto, the part that keeps water from coming in from the back of the hood? Very flimsy IMO. I'm not queezy about drilling holes into my firewall for the purpose of a solid mount for a strut bar.

Quick Reply: chassis bracing possibility?