cluster/hvac bulb color---UPDATED!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 12:39 AM
Default RE: cluster/hvac bulb color

wow,that actaully looks really damn good

Old 03-27-2008, 04:59 AM

That does look good.
I did the same color LEDs in my dash, but I ordered mine from superbrightleds.com and I got the shorter LEDs...after ordering the long ones. The long ones gave me the same issue you had, but I didn't modify the housing at all. Instead I sanded a couple of the LED glasses and buffed to make it clear again. The shorter set dropped right in and they are bright enough at night, but not so annoyingly bright when you're driving down a dark road.

Old 03-27-2008, 09:19 AM

yea i should of spent the extra money and shopped at that website and got the shorter ones. but its OK. later today I'm gonna break out the dremel and shorten and reshape the top into a cone so it fits in there better cuz a few of em are forced.

i think im going to put a red led in the HVAC....does anybody know its a 74 bulb?

Old 03-27-2008, 10:18 PM

ok so i put an led in my hvac to see what it would look like....i think its looks ok for being only one bulb in there. but now all my switches are still amber....and i dont think that they make any colored bulbs that size. if they do let me know where. and does anybody know where to get some translucent paint so i can paint the small bulbs in my switches red?

Name:  112_0164.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  11.7 KB

Old 03-28-2008, 02:29 AM

On the HVAC, there is another bulb (at least there is another one for the A/C icon). It's a bitch to remove because it's on the bottom. The bulb for the HVAC housing is a standard bulb I believe. It's been so long since I've even been around the switch areas it's hard to recall, lol. If I remember correctly, I had to remove the bulb to the "A/C on" light with a component LED since superbrightleds.com didn't have the base replacements. It's not a tough project, just time consuming and nuckle scratching.

Old 03-28-2008, 03:20 AM

so... there really is an amber like film or paint on the back of the gauge cluster that actually drowns out the color? cuz thats my question.... those red gauges would look SOOO awesome with white needles....

Old 03-28-2008, 06:44 AM

ORIGINAL: Kaede.Noir

so... there really is an amber like film or paint on the back of the gauge cluster that actually drowns out the color? cuz thats my question.... those red gauges would look SOOO awesome with white needles....
Yup, there is. I wouldn't suggest sanding it down either because you'll end up with "hot spots" on the gauge overlay. That's when the light is focused right above the bulb and the dissipator (although not as bright) and the rest of the overlay will be dim. That whole paint scheme on the back of the overlay is beneficial to balanced lighting. So far I've used amber, red, and blue with no ill effects on the stock overlay. A pure white LED will show up white with a slight hue of yellow where it is furthest away from the LED. If any of you guys have ever turn on the dash lights with the bulbs visible...the light they emit are a yellowish/amber light which contributes to the amber look of stock gauge lighting.
As for the needles, check out the Import Intelligence site.
Import Intelligence

Old 03-28-2008, 08:14 PM

yea i saw that bulb when i took the A/C switch out and saw the bulb. i heard that there is a paint out there that you can paint the bulbs red....does anybody know anything about that or a small red diffusers like the orange on from the hvac anybody sells.

hey Silver, what LED did you use for the a/c switch? and how about did you go about doing it? was it justa simple sodder the led to the +/- or is it more involvedthan that?

Old 03-29-2008, 04:23 PM

I wish it was a simple soldering job. It really wasn't tough, but I also had to solder a resistor inline with the positive side. I would leave that one alone because it was a PITA just for one tiny rectangular light.

Old 03-29-2008, 05:04 PM

wow..... those gauges are badass..... way better than the indigo...

Quick Reply: cluster/hvac bulb color---UPDATED!!!