2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

clutch and flywheel

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 01:00 PM
Default clutch and flywheel

i was wondering... i am replacing a clutch that slips bad and i am replacing the clutch today. should i replace or resurface the flywheel also? if i dont what will happen? thans alot i am about to go work on it in an hour and if i HAVE to redo the flywheel i want to before i rip my car apapart! thanks alot guys/ gals.

Old 10-04-2006, 02:38 PM
Default RE: clutch and flywheel

im pretty sure that you have to have the flywheel resurfaced.

Old 10-04-2006, 02:53 PM

if you shave the flywheel or resurface it deep enough you may see a small increase in rev speed which will make you a bit quicker but thats about it.

Old 10-04-2006, 04:39 PM
Banned

Well if you dont resurface the flywheel then you dont remove the little tiny cracks that you cant see. Its these cracks that form under extreme heat caused by the clutch slipping. If left untended to it could cause it to break apart... you dont want that to happen.... trust me.

NEVER EVER EVER remove any mass from the flywheel. I have seen so many of them just crack and cause major damage. However skimming (resurfacing) it is 'OK' although personally i dont like it. I would rather spend the money on a Fidanza flywheel. They are lighter and stronger than stock. It will also improve performance due to reduced rotational mass and generaly rev up quicker.

Old 10-04-2006, 05:23 PM

i meant to put that in there about the lightweight flywheel but since he said he's doing it TODAY i figured it was just a waste of typing b/c obviously he didn't get a lightweight one...

Old 10-04-2006, 06:30 PM
Banned

lol well i sure hope he didnt have his flywheel lightened

Old 10-05-2006, 12:40 AM

Absolutely have the flywheel resurfaced, you need to make sure it is running true and get the glaze off the surface. I'm not familiar with these cars and clutches but usually the throw-out bearing and pilot bearing should be changed too, if this setup has them, along with the clutch and pressure plate.

Old 10-05-2006, 10:00 AM
Super Moderator

yea these setups do have the throw out bearing, not sure about the pilot bearing though. And usually when you get a kit for the clutch replacement for these cars it will come with a new pressure plate.

Old 10-05-2006, 06:52 PM

well, thanks for all the replies, i didnt get a new flywheel but did get it resurfaced... it was surprisingly not bad even tho my clutch was horribly sliiping! but i have another problem, i replaced the clutch and parts..i put it all together, and i am pretty sure i hooked up all the cables and hoses. but now my car wont start. it doesnt even turn over or try to start just sits there. this is when i have a starter hooked up cyz the batery is dead. when i put the battery on the jump starter/charger.. the battery sounded like it was boiling... i dunno if that would have an affect on the car starting. but the cltch seems to be working properly... and everything looks normal it just wont start.. any ideas? the battery was dead b4 i replaced the clutch and i could jump start it, now i cant even jump start it. i really cant figure it out at this point... thanks for your help!!

Old 10-05-2006, 07:00 PM

maybe the battery is totally wasted and maybe try getting a new battery and see if that works.

Quick Reply: clutch and flywheel