2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

clutch plz help (updated) x2

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 05:55 PM
Default clutch plz help (updated) x2

hi all, today i noticed it was really hard shifting into gears! So i opened my clutch fliud resivaur and noticed it was empty. So i added some DOT-4 fliud to it but it didnt really help. Then i went onder the dash and looked and i noticed that theres a metal rod that goes into a rubber piece thats in my fire wall had fliud leaking and was running down the inside of my fire wall. Does any one know were i should begin trying to fix this? Ok apon ferther inpsection i found out its called a master cyclinder and were the rod goes in the rubber the hole is reamed out like it was cut or something and my clutch peddel goes all the way to the floorboard!

Old 01-16-2008, 06:05 PM
Default RE: clutch plz help

You are just going to have to replace it then.

Old 01-16-2008, 06:13 PM

yea, that is definatley the master cylinder, and there is nothing to do but replace it..

Old 01-16-2008, 06:14 PM

ok i found a kit for the master cyclender http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductD...35&PTSet=Adoes any one think that this can help im straped for cash?

Old 01-16-2008, 06:16 PM

that should, the round rubber piece is normally what leaks but although it is cheaper, it will be more of a pain in the *** to do than buy a new one

Old 01-16-2008, 06:23 PM

thanks do you think that fixing or replaceing the master cyclinder will stop my peddel from going to the floor or is that an adjustment that i need to make?

Old 01-16-2008, 07:24 PM
Super Moderator

Having a bad Master cylinder will cause the clutch pedal to go to the floor. So yes replacing it should fix it

Old 01-16-2008, 08:50 PM

Thank you all for your help. Ill get the kit and try to repair the cyclinder tomarrow. Ill post on how it went.

Old 01-16-2008, 10:21 PM

Ok i have another question about my clutch before i get started. I have a 98 rs and in order to start my car i have to push my clutch all the way in. But heres the thing my clutch every since i got the car a couple months ago, goes all the way to the floor and i have to push it down there pretty hard to get the car to start when i turn the key. Now when i fix my master cyclinder some one said the pedal wont go to the floor any more if thats true will my car still start? i dont see a button or any thing on the pedal armthat would get pushed in order for the car to start. so does any one know how the car knows the clutch is pushed in enuf to let the ignishion to work?

Old 01-16-2008, 10:33 PM

because it adjusts once u adjust ur clutch and there's nothing on the clutch pedal itself or the arm it's on the floor and once it hits that then it'll let you start it up it's called a neutral safety switch. I say don't worry about it cuz u'll be fine as long as you do everything else right you'll be good to go. I replaced a master cylinder on my buddies 99 gs and it was a pain in the a**, but didn't take too long at all

Quick Reply: clutch plz help (updated) x2