2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Clutch Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 05:42 PM
Default Clutch Problem?

I am almost positive it is clutch related but i figured I would post it to make sure. I was at the intersection of my street and the highway when my clutch pedal lost all pressure. It was just stuck to the floor, i managed to pump it a few times and got the pressure back but now everytime i push down on the clutch the car drop down to about 200 rpm,s and there is a loud squeeky noise. I managed to get it back to the house but it was smoking horribly. What do you guys think, is my clutch going out or is it the slave and master cylinder. I need to get my car fixed as soon as possible becuase it is my daily driver.

Thanks,

Old 10-13-2007, 06:29 PM
Banned
Default RE: Clutch Problem?

Need to tell us what car.

You need to pop the hood and check the fluid reservoir for it. Its probably low. Fill it up, dont put the cap on... and pump the pedal continuously for at least 2 full mins. Then replace the cap and you should be good to go. If it happens again then its the master or slave cyl.

Depending on how many miles you have on your car... your clutch might be due for a change anyway. That burning is the clutch roasting. Not good. That puts 10,000 miles of wear on the clutch when it burns that bad.

Old 10-13-2007, 06:42 PM

The car is a 99 gst with about 135,000 miles, I checked the fluid resevoir and it seems to have plenty of fluid in it. I pumped the clutch already for about 5 minutes but it did not good. The pedal has plenty of hydrolic pressure but everytime i push in the clutch the car immediately dies. It even squeeks real bad when its just idling.

Old 10-13-2007, 07:43 PM
Banned

Interesting. You sure your checking the right resevoir?

The car is on the original clutch?

Old 10-13-2007, 07:49 PM

Yes it is the correct resevoir. I believe its the original clutch but im not completely sure.

Old 10-13-2007, 07:54 PM
Banned

Im saying master or slave cylinder.

Old 10-13-2007, 08:17 PM

Master cylinder.

Old 10-14-2007, 02:06 AM

Look up under the dash to where the master goes through the firewall, any fluid dripping out? Jack the car up and pull back the boot on the slave, fluid in there? . As long as your doing one do the other right away to and get a SS clutch line from dsmparts. Changing the master is a b*tch because its so hard to get at. $170 in parts and your back on the road and just so you have a idea it took us about 5 hours to change the master/slave and do a SS line in my GST. Find someone who knows how to do it otherwise you will pay up the a$$ at a dealer

Old 10-14-2007, 11:36 AM

i would say slave cylinder....b4 you start replacing parts look for leaks...might just be a leak. take the boot off the slave cylinder and see if theres fluid coming out. check the lines from master to slave cylinder, might be a loose fitting somewhere.

Old 10-14-2007, 12:09 PM

I dont think it is loosing any fluid because the resevoir is full.

Quick Reply: Clutch Problem?