2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Clutch problem, hard shifting into gears

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2007 | 07:28 PM
Default RE: Clutch problem, hard shifting into gears

I think i am having the same issue also. Can you bleed the clutch by just removing the clutch resivor cap with the car turned off and pressing ont he clutch. New tranny oil, new clutch, rebuilt tranny. You know the story. It just getting worst and worst. Clutch pedal release and engage point gets lower and lower. But if i am at a stop and i press the clutch pedal in and out it builds up pressure and i can shift and have it release and engage half way up. The pedal with no pressure will stick to the floor and come up slowly while changing gears and driving.

Old 01-29-2007 | 09:03 PM
Super Moderator

no you can't bleed the clutch that way. You should have a setup similar to the brake system to bleed the clutch. Pump it a few times hold in open valve shut valve and repeat.

Old 01-29-2007 | 09:07 PM

Hey Nubie, check out the RRE site, click me . Scroll down about 3/4 of the way and you'll find "clutch adjustment", go down just a tad and you'll find "pedal pump up". I don't remember if you have a 2G or a 1G though. So, if you have a 1G and this isn't what you get, then disregard the "pedal pump up".

Oh yeah, like Sang stated.
The bleed nipple is on the slave cylinder, which is after the resevoir. I forget what they even look like anymore since I replaced mine with an SS line. You really need to bleed the slave because that's the "end of the line" in the clutch system.

Old 01-29-2007 | 09:30 PM

Haha yah i just ended up pumping more air into the system.. I read the site and other site and now have that understanding. I have a 2nd gen. Well i didn't notice problem untill it got really cold here. Cold air can be compressed more than warm. But any air is bad. Since it to cold and snow covered ground i just brought it to a shop and had them bleed the line. Problem fixed. Guess the stupid transmission shop i had my car at didn't bleed the line like they said they did. I was able to do the pedal adjustment on my own and it does wonders in improving shifting. Previously release adn engage was 1/4 of the floor nwo its about half way. Thanks for pointing in the direction. For a moment i thought my slave or master cylinder took a crap.

Old 01-29-2007 | 10:24 PM

Good news Nubie! Your turn Andy

Old 01-29-2007 | 11:46 PM

Dropped it off tonight and he'll give me a call tomorrow. Hopefully the news isn't too bad.

Old 01-30-2007 | 01:54 AM

One thing, say if i want to top up the clutch resevoir is it safe to just take off the lid and poor more in .. or will that let air in the system.

Old 01-30-2007 | 03:35 AM

ORIGINAL: Nubiebubie_GSX

One thing, say if i want to top up the clutch resevoir is it safe to just take off the lid and poor more in .. or will that let air in the system.
No, that's how you fill it up

Old 01-30-2007 | 07:43 PM

Got it back today and it was the slave cylinder. It feels like a smoother shift than ever.

Old 01-30-2007 | 08:02 PM

Well this morning driving the pedal felt very soft and slow.. release and engage point went down.. I think i should get the cylinder checked.. i was told physically they look fine and found no moisture in the area and fluid looks good. So all that was done was bleeding and it worked. But it didn't last.

Quick Reply: Clutch problem, hard shifting into gears