2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

clutch problems again

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 02:27 PM
Default clutch problems again

ok well i guess this car hates me cuz the clutch is acting weird...again. alright well when i bought the car supposidly the previous owner put a 2nd stage clutch in. well the adjustment was all messed up on it so i fixed it and it worked fine after that. well i had a leak i just fixed between my slace cylinder and my clutch line which i replaced both cuz it leaked still. fixed it problem solved. well the last few days i had to readjust my pedal cuz when i drive to work and home the top and bottom play gets messed up. i go from alot of top play with no bottom play to a little top play to alot of bottom play....you know what i mean right? do you know why its doing that. its getting really anoying having to fix it.

Old 06-08-2007, 12:42 PM
Default RE: clutch problems again

so any ideas?

Old 06-08-2007, 05:28 PM

Originally posted: http://www.roadraceengineering.com/c...ywheeltech.htm

[align=center]2G Pedal "Pump Up"[/align]
If you are fighting an inconsistent pedal adjustment in a 2G, adjust the upper pedal stop adjuster so that you gain additional free play at the top of the pedal travel. If this is your problem, you will notice that the pedal suddenly gets very tight and the release point will suddenly move up a lot, this is the cause.

2Gs need free play at the top of the pedal travel. If it is close to no travel and right on the edge, then it pumps up. Only 2Gs have a relief valve in the master cylinder that needs to be uncovered so fluid can go back into the reservoir on the clutch release. If not, it gets tighter and tighter and tighter. Then it may slowly relieve the pressure and it is back to normal. Just a 2G thing. You need more free play at the top of the pedal travel.

Left unchecked, the pedal will pump up more and more. The clutch will begin
to slip since it is as if you are driving around with your foot on the clutch pedal. Also it plays hell on the crankshaft thrust bearings. The constant pressure pushes the clutch release bearing onto the clutch and flywheel. When centrifugal force throws the clutch release fingers outwards, they make additional pressure on the thrust bearings of the crank. This is an additional factor in short lived crankshaft release bearings and an additional potential cause for crankwalk.
It sounds like you're having a similar issue to this.

Did you bleed your clutch system real good? Does the clutch go back to "normal" the next day or after the motor has cooled (while you're at work or something)?

Old 06-08-2007, 06:32 PM

I made at an attempt to do that also. but i couldn't get the upper pedal stop to move. i loosen the top nut and all that allowed me to do was loosen up the cruise switch and allowed it to rotate freely. The nut moved up and down the thread that was it. Probably idid it wrong but if somebody actually did it. Could they just clarify for a noob.

Old 06-08-2007, 06:40 PM

yea thats exactly whats happening, i was thinking that it was air in the line somewhere. and yes it goes back to normal after the motor cools. yeah i was going to just flush out my system with more fluid tomarrow. and should i check the relief valve? and if so where abouts is is located on the master cylinder.

Old 06-09-2007, 07:42 AM

does anybody know how the adjustment is suppost to be? does there gotta be a little bit of grab when the pedal hits the floor?

Old 06-10-2007, 12:03 PM

my bad silver, did it with out thinking. but anyways yea shes fixed now, i moved the cruise switch all the way back after several trial positions and that seemed to do it, thanks for the helpSilvercoupe and Nubiebubie GSX

Old 06-10-2007, 02:26 PM

alright i guess its not. its still doing it. could i just have a bad master cylinder? this is really starting to annoying

Old 06-11-2007, 06:51 AM
Super Moderator

So are you saying its fine for alittle after you adjust the pedal, and then it goes right back to it. Cuz if that what it is then its your clutch pedal. I had the same problem where i had to keep adjusting it and i found it was that i wasnt tightening the nut on the adjuster bolt toward the end of the bolt heading into the engine bay. You have to make sure its totally tightened after youve adjusted the pedal or it will just go right back

Old 06-11-2007, 02:49 PM

shes fixed now, i put the cruise sensor all the way back and its works great now. thanks for the help guys...again.

Quick Reply: clutch problems again