2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

crack in the intake manifold

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 08:44 PM
Default crack in the intake manifold

yet another problem today i removed my heatsheild and found a crack on the manifold about an inch and a half long how much powerloss is this costing me and could this be the reason why i cant set my boost at 15 psi with my mbc it only goes up to 9 psi??? and also can i use jb weld to fix this problem till i get a new one????thanks

Old 08-24-2006, 08:52 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: crack in the intake manifold

did you mean exhaust manifold, because as far as i know the intake manifold doesnt have a heat shield. And i dont think that JB weld will hold up with the amount of heat that it will be dealing with. I dont know exactly what they are rated for though

Old 08-24-2006, 08:54 PM

yeah the exhaust manifold the one that the turbo connects to could this be my psi problem???and powerloss????

Old 08-24-2006, 08:55 PM
Super Moderator

Ummmm.....yea id say that would lead to some really big issues

Old 08-24-2006, 09:02 PM

i dont know if ne of yall have heard of this stuff but i just bougth this epoxy putty called quicksteel it says it steelhardns in one hour and an is 500 degrees temp resistant and that it permanently bonds to aluminum,brass,copper,steel,pvc,fiberglass,plastic s,glass,ceramics,wood and more and that its made ecpecially for automobiles repair(man i better get some money for advertising this stuff)lol
so what do yall think???

Old 08-24-2006, 09:20 PM
Super Moderator

actually i just used that stuff on my radiator because i had a crack in it and man that stuff is amazing. But you have to be quick with it. You sit there and knead it in your hands and it will start to get pretty hot. Then apply it fast because it will harden and if it does then its useless. But that stuff worked great on the top of my radiator, not sure how it will work with metal. But i guess theoretically it should

Old 08-24-2006, 09:45 PM

alright man thanks for the help ill try it out and ill let you know what happens thanks again!!!!

Old 08-26-2006, 04:38 PM

well i tried the quicksteel and it hardened pretty good but it just couldnt withstand the heat my manifold cookd it up and it gave off the word smell ever so ill just have to order a new one or weld it huh???

Old 08-26-2006, 06:35 PM

new exhaust manifolds arne't terribly expensive and if your gonna spend the money to replace it you may as well go ahead and upgrade to some headers... quicker spool times

Old 08-26-2006, 11:30 PM

thanks for the advice ill do that instead of buying a new stock one appreciate it

Quick Reply: crack in the intake manifold