2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

crankwalk

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2005, 02:56 AM
Default crankwalk

what year did eclipses start with the 7 bolt block??and what is different with the crank and bearings??? is it worth it to build a 7 bolt block???

Old 11-21-2005, 04:48 AM
Default RE: crankwalk

i havnt been around DSM very long but crankwalk is for most 2G cars (95-99) but the 97s seemed to be most effected. unless your building a 7 bolt for more than 350whp i dont see a prob in it. mine had well over 120k miles w/ no probs. with the 7 bolt blocks if its ganna crankwalk it will, as far as i know there no way of really stoping it. to help i just used very good parts when modding to not put any unneeded stress on the motor, had everything checked to specs.as for whats different from the 6 bolt to the 7 i believe its the balenceing shafts (i could be wrong someone feel free to jump in) the crank journals maybe different also im not sure.

Old 11-21-2005, 10:25 AM

89-92 6bolt, 93-99 7 bolt. Personally I would build a 6 bolt, lots of guys that go for the low track times are all 6 bolts.

Old 11-21-2005, 10:10 PM

ORIGINAL: slow420a

89-92 6bolt, 93-99 7 bolt. Personally I would build a 6 bolt, lots of guys that go for the low track times are all 6 bolts.
i could have swore the 7 bolt started in 95 but hmm ok. its alot of time n money to swap to a 6 bolt. i started with an Exeddy clutch kit, dejon tool FMIC n intake w/ K&N filter, MBC, 3inch exhaust, UR pullies,B&M shifter, nology hot wires n NGK plugs. my car made good power with just boltons plus freed up alot of stress off the motor. i recoment people starten here before jumping into a swap its just alot of money n work that most arnt ready for

Old 11-21-2005, 11:42 PM

ORIGINAL: domestickilla

i could have swore the 7 bolt started in 95 but hmm ok. its alot of time n money to swap to a 6 bolt. i started with an Exeddy clutch kit, dejon tool FMIC n intake w/ K&N filter, MBC, 3inch exhaust, UR pullies,B&M shifter, nology hot wires n NGK plugs. my car made good power with just boltons plus freed up alot of stress off the motor. i recoment people starten here before jumping into a swap its just alot of money n work that most arnt ready for

Thats what I orginally though but dsmtalonawd corrected me and i did some reasearch and discovered it so.

Old 11-22-2005, 11:19 AM

ORIGINAL: domestickilla

nope, there were 7-bolts toward the end of the 1G era.

alot of time and money to do the sway? its a direct swap. theres no custom work that needs to be done. its the cheapest engine swap for the 2G.

Old 11-23-2005, 03:48 AM

iu wouldnt say its a direct swap, its straitforward yes, but you need to know which 1g parts to use and which 2g parts to use, as well as how to wire the 1g CAS. It is also a very cheap swap, 6bolts are plentiful, more so than good condition 7 bolts. Anyway, for your original question, yes go ahead and build up your 7bolt. Im assuming you just mean basic bolt ons (turbo, intake, cams etc) right? If you had to swap to a 6bolt those parts would still work fine. If you mjeant internal parts like pistons, there is no need at your level yet. Make 400whp first on the stockers.

Old 11-27-2005, 09:00 PM

crankwalk happens in about 3-8% of 7bolts doesnt sound like alot but its enough. 89-94.5 were 6 bolts and 94.5-99 were 7bolts. beating the car mercilessly(sp?) will increase the chances of crankwalk. act 2600 clutchs also increase the chances of crankwalk.

Old 11-27-2005, 11:39 PM

From my experience with Mitsubishi- the crankwalk seems to affect only the 95-97 models (but not limited to). If i remember correctly, there was some type of production change in the mid 97 production year that involved different part numbers for the crankshaft thrust bearings. It's thrust bearing failure that actually allows the crank to "walk" back and forth. Heavy duty pressureplates that usually come heavier duty clutch kits will put more strain on the thrust bearing each time the clutch pedal is depressed and theoretically could cause them to wear out faster.

Joel, CA

Old 11-28-2005, 12:09 AM

Alot of the problem which caused the thrust bearings to go bad were clutches that were adjusted improperly. I've personally seen a stage 2 block from slowboy racing crankwalk after 2 months because of a clutch that was adjusted wrong.

Quick Reply: crankwalk